Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I am seeing some posts on Twitter that fall detection was triggered from the Watch falling off a nightstand. Wouldn’t Apple have designed this so it would only trigger fall detection if it knows the Watch is on someone’s wrist? Perhaps this is just a software bug?

mike9449

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
Phoenix
I am seeing some posts on Twitter that fall detection was triggered from the Watch falling off a nightstand. Wouldn’t Apple have designed this so it would only trigger fall detection if it knows the Watch is on someone’s wrist? Perhaps this is just a software bug?

Mine detects a fall every time I wash my hands because I shake the excess water off my hands before drying them. I'm 65 so it was automatically on. Not a terribly useful feature. I guess I'll turn it off.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Wow I didn’t think it would trigger that easily. No doesn’t seem very useful if the littlest things can trigger it. I know the default is off if you’re under a certain age but I think if it was working properly it would be useful for any age. Falls can happen to anyone and can happen when you’re alone.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Mine detects a fall every time I wash my hands because I shake the excess water off my hands before drying them. I'm 65 so it was automatically on. Not a terribly useful feature. I guess I'll turn it off.

Oh dear, it'll be going off constantly if a teenage boy had it enabled then... lol

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
That's strange. I do that too, quite vigorously, and it's never gone off for me.

Reactions: jhfenton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.