Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sub Guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I was looking at the apple online store and saw they have a refurbished computer like the one I was looking at for 300 less. Are there any drawbacks from buying a refurb? Just courious. Does it have the same warrenty? Any info would be great I would like to Buy this weekend.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
my old Powerbook was a refurbished model, and it worked flawlessly for 7 years. I strongly recommend an apple refurb model.

Warranty (IIRC) is the same on a refurb model as it is on a new computer, which takes away the fear of buying one. As best I can tell, the only thing that isn't perfect about the refurbs is they lack that "new computer" smell. Other than that, whatever it was brought in for to fix has typically been fixed using new components, so there's really nothing wrong with them other than they're not new in box.

FYI - we retired the Powerbook when the hinge on the screen finally broke (it was a design flaw, really) and we repaired by replacement with a MacBook.

iBadger

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I just bought a Unibody Macbook pro for 1100 from the refurbished store. It arrived in excellent condition, looked brand new. I am satisfied with my refurb mac. I plan to purchase another one in the future.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Refurbs come with all of the advantages of a new Mac - such as warranties - and have been individually tested and tried, and are usually offered at a very competitive price so, yes, I recommend them strongly. Their only drawback is that they don't come in a spanking new box, so that "brand-new" air and aroma is definitely lacking.

Cheers and good luck

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Got my daughter a 20" iMac. Original price was 1449.00, my refurb price was 994.00. Came in prefect condition. Warranty is the same. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Best if you look right after a re-fresh. I think new models went up from 2.3 to 2.6... big deal, I'd rather save the dough for something nobody could possibly notice.
Refurb and discontinued is the FIRST place I look for a Mac.
Well... except for ME.
:)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Have bought several Mac refurbished.... love 'em.

The only downside is that the inventory changes, sometimes daily or more frequent. So, what you want may not be there tomorrow. If you have some time, check the refurb store daily or more often. Get a sense of what the prices are.... and then when what you want is offered at a price you like, buy it immediately.

Regardless of how long you wait, the exact same system will be offered for $50 less the week after you buy it. Its a universal law of nature. :D

markoibook

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
Two of my three Macs have been refurbed, and I'd recommend a refurb everytime.

My first refurb, my PowerMac 2GHz was a great deal at the price (about £500 cheaper than new) and is still working perfectly today - some 4 years later.

My current MacBook was a refurb too - and no problems here. I effectively got the mid-range model for the price of the cheapest model. Not only that but as a bonus my MacBook actually arrived with 2GB RAM instead of the 1GB listed - one of those things that sometimes happens when someone returns a Built To Order model :) The MacBook is nearly 2 years old with no problems.

Oh and my first iPod was a refurb. It was a 2G iPod 10GB and came as brand new in box. It was an absolute crazy bargain at the time, and again works perfectly now (tho I've upgraded the battery) some 5 years later! :)

In short, order a refurb with confidence. As someone else pointed out - you get all the warranties etc you would with a new one, but you get the piece of mind that your actual Mac has been tested by hand - something that wouldn't happen with a new model, and so in my mind that makes it more reliable!

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
Yep, bought my parents a refurb MacBook Pro just over a year ago. They love it and nothing has gone wrong with it yet (touch wood) even though I have Applecare with it.

KeeeeenW

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
I'm thinking the same thing! Does any think it is the good time to buy a Refurbished Macbook 466($1099) eventhough there may be a update?

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
I love my refurb UMB, I'll seriously consider getting a refurb the next time too.

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Opposed to most other posters regarding refurb Macs, I have not had a very good experience...

I purchased a 17" previous gen "Early 2008" (2.6/HR/200'7200) and within the first day had kernal panics and graphics issues, and the right speaker blown out. Sent it in for repair, and it came back with dings on the case. I called AppleCare, and luckily they are goin to be replacing it with a new uni 17" and nix future repairs on the refurb alltogether....

The case on the refurb was Brand New though, and for the price you really can't go wrong with a refurb purchase! They will take care of you if you encounter something like I did

-Z

saturnino3

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Oakland, CA
I have never actually purchased a new Mac but I have purchased the following:

4 iBook G4
5 Powerbook G4s
6 Intel iMacs
3 iPhones
a couple of iPods

and I have never had any issues with them and I'm planning on getting a refurb MacBook (aluminum) for me and a refurb iMac (aluminum).

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I bought my 12 year old son a Refurbished Blackbook last October and it runs like a charm, no difference at all from a new machine other than the box it arrived in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.