Anyone ever cut into an Apple leather iPhone 6 case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Paco II, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Paco II macrumors 65816

I'd like to cut out a notch for the SIM tray to make access to it easier. Figured I'd check here to see if anyone's tried something similar. Wondering how the leather will end up in the area I cut out.

2. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I suppose it depends on how you cut it but the edges of the cut would probably fray.

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because removing the case is sooooo hard to do? You'll most likely ruin the case and for what?

4. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Clearly you are not a fan of modding. At worst its the cost of a new case. Or perhaps I end up with exactly what I need. We shall see.

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You really need a space to remove the sim.... when pulling off the case takes.... ummmm..... .1 second? Your case, your money good luck.

6. Interstellar macrumors newbie

Yep, I cut mine (removed the button covers).

You're gonna need a ridiculously sharp knife, preferably a scalpel, and very small scissors.

I'll tell you this: cutting through the leather is cake but the plastic under it is a bit of a PITA, and keep in mind that I was cutting from the edge. If you're basically making a hole in the side of the case, it won't be easy. For that, maybe use a pin or something to poke holes in the shape of your cutout?

But yeah overall I don't recommend it. The case will look pretty bad when you cut into it, guaranteed. The edges will be rough and bad-looking.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Why did you remove the button cover? Just wondering.

8. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My personal experience with modifying cases has been about 50/50. 1/2 of them were successful, and half of them wound up in trashing the case. Depends on how valuable the case is to you.:)

9. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

Like someone said, your money, your case. I mean I could see if you were taking out the sim every other day, then i would do that, but not to the leather, but the silicone case I would because I don't care for that one.

Or you could keep the phone caseless:D

10. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Motivation for this is SIM swapping multiple times per day. Don't ask Good tip on Apple silicone case. Maybe I'll hack that one.

11. T4R06 macrumors 65816

why not buy 2nd phone?

12. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

13. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

14. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

Lol. Cool and no problem. Glad I can add to the fettish?# Sorry if I'm wrong. #

15. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Failure cost is low. The best kind of mod. :)

16. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

See if you can borrow a hole punch for adding holes to leather belts, punch two holes as far apart as you want then cut between them with an exact knife. It should make a nice clean slot for the sim tray.

17. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816