Anyone ever get a digital SLR into MSG ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by glocke12, Dec 29, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im going to see phish this weekend at MSG, and will be taking the train into the city. I wanted to spend the day walking around taking photos with my D90, and than go to the show.

Has anyone ever had a problem taking a digital SLR to a show at MSG?

2. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

You might want to call ahead first and find out. I've never been to MSG but I went to see Prince a few years ago in Atlanta and they didn't allow any cameras. I had to take it back to the car before they would let me in. Sporting events are different. They will usually let you in with cameras as long as the lens you have isn't very long.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I can only speak for HSBC here in Buffalo but friends take there long zoom P&S units in all the time for hockey. I had a buddy that claimed he brought his dslr in with a 50mm on it so it looked small and switched lenses in the mens room. Best of luck and please post back with how things worked for you :)

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

http://www.thegarden.com/faq/index.html

Recording Devices
    Video cameras, monopods, tripods, audio recording devices and cameras with telephoto or zoom lenses are not permitted inside Madison Square Garden at any time. This policy will be strictly enforced. You may bring in a disposable or 35mm camera (with no zoom or telephoto lens), however, for some events, cameras of any type and/or flash photography may be prohibited.

I'd call first.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I can only speak about hockey games (rangers) I've seen people bring in their rebels with the kit lens (17-55) Nothing larger ie a 55-200. It depends on who screens you when you pass by security. Some don't care at all while other's pat down granny. Arrive later rather then earlier so its crowded. Once you have arrive if you have a bag you will need to open it, then once you pass by the tables (bag checkers) they have security guards to pat you down (if you get stopped). Once you clear the tables make a b-line for the door straight ahead.
    Since its a Phish concert and not a miley cirus concert security might be tighter.....
    I have brought my D90 with kit lens 18-105 to rangers games and was fine. maybe I got lucky :cool:

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, probably not gonna happen. I did call and was told in no uncertain terms that cameras wont be allowed this weekend...bummer. If I was driving it wouldnt be a problem because I could stash it in my car, but since Im taking the train in, I wont have any place to put it.

7. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Maybe if you know a taper he might have a better chance of hiding it in his gear ...
    Enjoy yourself!
    I envy you :)

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

nah, dont know any tapers....

no biggie though. just means Ill be making an extra trip into the city just to take pictures and walk around. probably be today...