Anyone ever get turned down for Student ADC membership?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnee, Apr 27, 2007.

1. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

It appears you have to buy the Student ADC membership, THEN get verified. I'm just curious if anyone has actually been denied during the verification process.

If so, did you get your $99 back? If not, then you paid $99 for no hardware discounts?

2. aeiz macrumors member

Are you a student? Can you fax proof? If so, you won't get turned down. It's a pretty simple process. A lot of people try to complicate it on these forums.

3. johnee thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnee

My wife is applying to grad school and won't officially know till June. I figured as long as you provide the proof you are enrolled it was a slam dunk. But you know what happens when people assume.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

it's simple if you are really a student (of what major doesn't matter)... it's complicated if you aren't a student, but try to become a student for this discount (such as enroll in a random college, not really taking classes, etc, etc)

5. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Hmm, I wonder if being a Grad student at Norwich qualifies for a student discount on a new MBP purchase? :) The only issue is that since I'm Canadian, the university does not show up as a listed option for the Canadian Apple site... Might have to give them a call.

6. markthedoc macrumors newbie

I've just bought an iMac from Apples UK online store and I got £90 off with the student discount. I didn't have to show any proof, a box just popped up and asked me what college I was at & that was that! :D

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Student discounts and Student ADC are two different things. You probably would have got a couple hundred off with an ADC.

8. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Never been denied it but they once gave it to me without me knowing. I was buying a Mac Mini for my brother and went to the refurb area making sure to steer clear of the Edu site knowing all too well that I could not give away the computer. So when my bro called up Apple Care for a problem, the rep on the phone asked him why he had it and since it was purchased on the Edu site (ummm, no it wasn't) gave him the 10th degree because he wasn't supposed to have it. So I am willing to bet in the future I will be denied because of that little mistake on their part.

9. aeiz macrumors member

...remember what I said about people complicating it on these forums? I think he just proved my point. If you aren't a student and you are trying to get a student ADC discount, you should get rejected.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It really should be obvious that if you are not approved, Apple cannot keep your money.

11. johnee thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnee

actually it's not obvious. They let you buy the Student ADC membership without providing proof. You have to provide the proof if you want to buy hardware with your ADC discount, correct?

So when my wife faxes her info, and for whatever reason they turned her down, she still has the membership, but can't buy the hardware (?).

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Thanks.

12. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

nor can she enjoy any other benefit for ADC membership.

13. jotadeo macrumors regular

...as grapes911 said...

With the ADC Student program you can only make a ONE hardware purchase and that's it. From the ADC Student Membership page:

"ADC Hardware Discount
    Student Members may take advantage of a special, one-time hardware discount per lifetime (this benefit is non-renewable and subject to change)."

Hope that clears things up!
    jdo