Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
So I am trying to set up an iPad mini 5 for my granddaughter. I ordered directly from Apple’s refurb store. It’s a Wi-Fi only and I’m getting this message when I’m trying to set it up.

“There is a problem with your iPad.“
This iPad cannot be activated for service. Please contact your carrier or AppleCare.

Already spoke with apple and a not so helpful nor friendly tech person, and they walked me through something like a restore an update but the iPad has already come back on and it is still giving me this message.

Any ideas, or do I just need to have them send a new iPad?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
That is strange. I think I'd have them send another one.

Yeah I’m returning it. Two hours and three different tech/AppleCare agents and no one had a clue.

And actually my granddaughter decided she wants to keep a bigger one, so she’s getting her sister’s 6th gen hand me down, and I’m getting my money back. ;-p

Reactions: VineRider

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Oh man what a journey. Best to return it for sure. Also make sure you provide feedback on the competence of those agents.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
What a train wreck... ?

Right? Four year-olds! ;-p I guess I shouldn’t complain about that $370 going back in my pocket though! :)

Anyway, brought it into the Apple store to return yesterday. The guys there were looking at it also - NO CLUE. They said they’ve never seen anything like it. It would also switch itself into dark mode while it was trying to activate, before it would pop up and give the message. It was a weird thing for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.