Anyone ever left AT&T and NOT pay the ETF? (break contract)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ehoez, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ehoez macrumors member

[​IMG]

Anyone ever left AT&T and NOT pay the ETF? (break contract)?

Ie. Bad service? Dropped calls? Etc?

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I left verizon with bad service. AT&T might just send you a MicroCell for free instead of letting you out of the contract

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many people did within their 30 days reprieve.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats why you have 30 days to try it and get out of your contract for free.
    How long you been with AT&T and how many months you have left on your agreement?
    They will still make you pay an ETF if you cancell early no matter what the excuse is.

5. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

3years, just got iphone 4, moved into new house, and signal is VERY badd... tons of droped calls, etc..

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

if you can manage to roam > 50% of the time for a couple of billing cycles (maybe even just 1) at&t will drop you without forcing you to pay the ETF or giving up your phone. In that situation it'd be AT&T breaking its contract with you, and not the other way around.

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

When we bought a summer home we found out it was not in the AT&T cell coverage area. We had a data card that was only five months into the contract. When I went to AT&T and asked them what, if anything, there was that could be done, they said if I brought in a utility bill with my address on it they would waive the ETF. They did just that, it was a pretty easy procedure.

PS..this obviously means your house has to show up on their map as not having any coverage...

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

There will be class action lawsuits against AT&T re: ETF -- with likely favorable outcomes.

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Oh, if you send them a bill or something proving you moved, you should be able to get out of the contract easily. It says somewhere in the contract that if you move to an area with no service, you cant get out of the contract with no fees.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

why do you think that? All major Carriers charge ETF...even Verizon

11. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

<facepalm>Wow...</facepalm>

12. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

If you bitch enough you can probably get a microcell for free. I did.

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Don't kid yourself, this will never happen.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You can sell your iPhone 4 for at least $750 if not more. That covers the original cost of the phone plus the ETF you'd have to pay *and* gives you a small profit. Why are you worried about it?

15. Stein357 macrumors 6502

There are dishonest ways to get out of the contract without paying the ETF.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It has already happened --- AT&T & Verizon have settled these suits.

It is happening now in many states against many carriers.

Laws are being drafted in states & Congress to limit them.

And the FCC is investigating potential restraint of trade issues.

17. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It states in the contract that if they can not provide you service then you are exempt from ETF fees. That's the answer. Not going to post all over the Internet how it's done but if you put a little thought in it it will come to you. I'm guessing the point of this thread is to be prepared for folks trying to get out of AT&T to go verizon early next year.

18. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

foreal? does this use mins?

19. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

It uses whatever minutes are already on your plan. There's a couple of threads about it. You can pay an extra $20 a month for unlimited minutes, but its not necessary for me.

20. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

If you're otherwise happy with the phone I'd download AT&T's Mark the Spot app. You can use wifi to mark your location along with a no service complaint. Then, call customer service and let them know of your problem.

When you call explain what's going on and say that if something can't be done you're just going to have to cancel the service. If they offer you a free MicroCell unit say sure and give it a try. As SophiaLee said, they do give out free units to some people.

Of course, if you aren't fixated on keeping the iPhone 4 skip all of the above and go with a carrier that's better for your area. :)

21. importraverxx macrumors member

I bought my Iphone 4 on launch day and signed up for a new contract, family plan and got 2 iphone 4 with 2 lines. My g/f called in to cancel it on the 31st day, so we can just pay the ETF and keep the phones. It supposed to be 325 per line, but the rep got confused and billed me for 318 for both lines... So when I got the actual bills, my girlfriend even called in to ask if this is the correct amount for cancelling 2 lines... and the rep even double confirmed that yes... that is all you have to pay. lol, gotta love ATT reps. So in the end, i paid $199 (b4 tax)+ $80 (1st month + activation) + $159 (ETF) = $438 total for my Iphone 4, and got a free month of 3G and voice.

So ATT reps do get confused sometimes... when my girlfriend called in to cancel, she did not call from the Iphone 4 but use home phone, maybe thats why they got confused lol, oh well :D

22. ehoez thread starter macrumors member