Anyone ever make a DIY Cintiq aka DIY Touchscreen LCD Tablet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by motorpsycho, Oct 8, 2008.

1. motorpsycho macrumors newbie

Hi, I need some guidance on this. I posted on Bongofish, spoke to a technician at Tekserve in Chelsea and now I'm looking to see what this community has to say about the matter. I've been looking into Touchscreen Displays for my macbook and found a nice display on NewEgg for 299. Eh, alright, it's a Magnavision MV155U but the only thing that stinks is that it doesn't have any drivers for Leopard OS. The main reason is to use it as a Cintiq. After looking up some posts in Bongofish I've come to the conclusion I might need a tablet to work the kinks out, and from the looks of it, it seems most are encouraging that I get a Dell Touchscreen Display (Still no drivers for Mac, uggggh) and a Intuos Wacom. I already have a Graphire4 Wacom tablet as well. Isn't this good enough? I mean, dropping 300 or 200 dollars to dismantle a new graphics tablet seems almost ludicrous... and on that note, What display should I get for this and for the cheapest possible amount? I would ask Bongofish, but for some reason, they won't let me post a new thread, just responses to threads that have already been made :(

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. I was totally unsure of where to post this.

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

The Megavision MV155U you mention, and in fact almost any other touchscreen monitor you can buy, won't function anything like a cintiq. Touchscreen monitors have nowhere near the accuracy, they register blobs about the size of your fingertip to within 5-10 pixels only. The smaller more accurate ones meant to be used with a stylus, such as a tablet PC screens don't register the levels of pressure like a cintiq.

Wacom has a ton of patents that cover everything but the most basic touchscreen stuff, that's one of the reasons Microsoft's Surface and Apple's iPhone use different approaches to the tech, but even those don't come close to the accuracy or feature set that Wacom has.

It sucks, but if you want a Cintiq, you gotta buy a Cintiq.