Anyone ever maxed the CPU ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonehype, May 6, 2013.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

I would of classed myself as a heavy user over the last sort of week I had

Photoshop / Dreamweaver / Final Cut Pro / Outlook / Vlc Player / iTunes / UseNext and Safari running on my rMBP

I'm sure it wasn't drinking the CpU as it was working flawlessly

Just switched on my windows machine tried doing the same it's still loading up after logging in!

Apples design & engineering is simply amazing

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well it says you have a Retina so thank the SSD!

Apple uses the same parts remember :p

3. The Riddler macrumors newbie

I don't really think there is such thing as having a maxed out CPU; It's never happened to me, even when the Macbook is totally maxed out. I do run a lot of software, and most likely one game running in the background.

4. leman macrumors 604

What do you mean by 'maxed the CPU'? To tax it with computations to its full capacity? Thats not that hard, I can easily do it. All you need are some heavy multithreaded numeric computations.

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

If you want to stress out the CPU try putting this command into terminal.

PHP:
    yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null yes > /dev/null &
    It'll max out your CPU and your temperature will rise almost immediately and your MacBook will start to throttle soon enough.

If you need to kill the process to stop it from damaging your computer. Put this in terminal.

PHP:
    killall yes
    Let me know how it works out :)

6. FrozenShivers macrumors member

No offense but the way you put your post across makes me feel you aren't very tech savvy, macs use PC parts (as far as CPU's etc), high end PC's have higher end CPU's/GPU's etc available to them than Mac's. (You also never mentioned the specs of your windows rig).