Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
853
152
Dublin, Ireland.
that if you try to get a swear-word engraved on an iPod... you can't?

it says : "this message cannot be displayed"
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,232
2
London, England
That's ****ing bo**ox
punchinface.gif
 

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
1,678
0
Providence, RI
hehe.. I just figurd this out yesterday. It also doesn't let ypu type in "dirty words" suchs as penis, vagina, etc. I wonder who spent the time to put these words on the "can't engrave" list.
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
... this isn't surprising, why would apple let people put swears on their ipod ... theres no good reason
 

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
2,251
2
Originally posted by idkew
hummm.... bacause i paid them to? sounds good to me.

ya but, i don't know how it is other countries, but here in Canada you can't have swear/dirty words on your vanity plates, you pay for those too :rolleyes:
 

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by revenuee
ya but, i don't know how it is other countries, but here in Canada you can't have swear/dirty words on your vanity plates, you pay for those too :rolleyes:

same in the us, but an ipod engraving is not public. plus, i do not think you technically own the license plate. just as you do not own a social security card or driver's license, the state (gov) does. so, since the gov owns it, they can dictate what is on it.
 

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
2,225
5
USA_WA
Apple has this thing called 'class'. They don't want their products to be physically scarred with words of curse. Hopefully people who can shell out $300 for an mp3 player have matured enough, and have the class not to get something stupid, like a swear word, on their iPod...
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,944
0
Alameda, CA
Several 'dirty' words and phrases *are* accepted for engraving. Most have other 'innocent' meanings, however. So, I guess if your name is Richard Head, you can have your nickname engraved on your iPod. :D

(BTW -- Be sure to check out the music of Richard Cheese!)
 

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
2,251
2
I don't know if it's a matter of "class" - whatever the hell that means.

and i the counter point about the license plate not really being yours is a damn good one.

But i have to wonder, why would anyone want to have anything defacing the iPod like that ...

I have my iPod engraved - as a present from my parents with the words

"Merry Christmas 2003 Remek D" and that makes it nice to look at and remember that Christmas

I think having "Penis" engraved into the iPod would be a very short lived novelty
 

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
280
0
Indy
Originally posted by G4scott
Hopefully people who can shell out $300 for an mp3 player have matured enough, and have the class not to get something stupid, like a swear word, on their iPod...
I'm 31, and I just found out that I have not matured enough to contain my uncontrollable laughter at "Up the Chuffer". With that out of the way, I do think it makes sense to have some sort of standards as to what Apple would allow to be visually represented on the case of one of their products. It's just good business.
 

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,974
1
St Augustine, FL
Considering Apple was made to remove the comment "Hell just froze over." for their iTunes Windows ad on their homepage, I doubt they'd risk a lawsuit from a horde of angry parents who found their children with the words "bitch" or other colorful metaphors engraved onto their iPods.
 

kettle

macrumors 65816
groan

Originally posted by Flowbee
So, I guess if your name is Richard Head, you can have your nickname engraved on your iPod. :D

My husbands real name is Michael and I have no end of problems with engravings on smaller objects, especially when the engraver is on the other end of a telephone saying "Mrs Hunt, in the font size you require, I will only have enough room for 9 characters including spaces. Imagine the engravers suprise when I reply "I know the iPod is a wonder of modern technology, but kind sir, surely it's big enough to fit Mike Hunt?":rolleyes:
 

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
6,028
3,582
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Re: groan

Originally posted by kettle
My husbands real name is Michael and I have no end of problems with engravings on smaller objects, especially when the engraver is on the other end of a telephone saying "Mrs Hunt, in the font size you require, I will only have enough room for 9 characters including spaces. Imagine the engravers suprise when I reply "I know the iPod is a wonder of modern technology, but kind sir, surely it's big enough to fit Mike Hunt?":rolleyes:

Um, just to be a spoilsport... plays on words aren't really funny when you've had to torture the sentence enough to where it doesn't actually make any sense. The iPod isn't fitting "Mike Hunt" - it's just the opposite.
 

kettle

macrumors 65816
Re: Re: groan

Originally posted by Westside guy
Um, just to be a spoilsport... plays on words aren't really funny when you've had to torture the sentence enough to where it doesn't actually make any sense. The iPod isn't fitting "Mike Hunt" - it's just the opposite.
Sorry to spoil your day happy person.
which bit didn't make sense?
If you want to get down to it I had to disguise the basic crudness of a rude and quite simply immature play on words, obviously too pathetic for your own tastes.

You'd make a right one, aslong as you're not mine.

have a nice day, don't get crushed or mashed.
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
There is a whole series of names like this, when the man show was good they did a whole piece on them, it was pretty funny, especially when they got to "Jack Hoff" and adam corolla told the guy "I've losely based my life around your name"
 

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
442
3
Chicago area
I'm all in favor of little steps to restore civility, but isn't this the same company whose CEO used the words "kick @$$" to describe its hardware and OS a few months ago?
 

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
2,251
2
Originally posted by FriarTuck
I'm all in favor of little steps to restore civility, but isn't this the same company whose CEO used the words "kick @$$" to describe its hardware and OS a few months ago?

He also hung a scull over Apple HQ :D
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,558
0
VA
But if you really wanted to have those words on your ipod - bring it to a jeweler and pay to have what ever you want put on there.

Silliness :rolleyes:

D
 

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
742
0
and if you took it to a jeweler you might not have to limit youself to words. you could get a whole tableaux put on there.

of, you know, whatever...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.