Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Has anyone ever successfully removed a tempered glass screen protector before? Any tips or tricks?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
If you are worried about it breaking during removal I would suggest putting a layer or two of clear packing tape over it before attempting to remove it.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
I've only ever taken one off after it had cracked, but all you need to do is start with a corner, break the seal between the silicone (adhesive) layer and your screen and slowly pull it up. It might crack while you do so but it should all stick to itself and stay in one piece for the most part. They generally don't stick well if you pull them off and try to re-stick them, so cracking it shouldn't be your biggest concern.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I've peeled off one from an iPhone 5 and one from a 3rd Gen iPad. I like to take a post-it note, or something as thin but slightly more firm (like a post-card), and slip it in between from the corner, then work my way across gradually. For the iPad, I used about 3 post-cards and slipped between different corners of the glass.

Just take your time and work it out carefully. I've only broke the iPhone 5 glass protector going a little too fast (first time I've removed one). Sent from my MacBook Pro.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I removed the zagg glass from my 5s very easily, surprised actually how easy(unsticky) it was. Was able to apply it to my replacement unjailbroke 5s & was perfect. But since I'm vanilla now I'm totally nude no reason in my eyes to protect...

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I don't understand the need for screen protectors. Is this to protect the glass from shattering in case of drops?

Yes it does, i dropped my 5s once on the concrete while taking a picture and the glass protector took the hit, my iphone's screen was perfect while the glass protector was shattered.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I don't understand the need for screen protectors. Is this to protect the glass from shattering in case of drops?

Drops and scratches (on glass and oleophobic coat), while at the same time giving the surface the same "naked" feel of the screen if it were without a protector; it gives the phone better protection, but without seeming obvious that it's there. Sent from my iPad.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Save me from one screen replace the. Dropped my phone on some metal parts, slid out of shirt pocket and of course landed screen face down on corner of part in crate.

Screen protector broke, but screen underneath was pristine. Also find that after six months use the oleophobic coating on screen can rub off a bit. With screen protector I just replace it and all new again. Got to be a good glass protector like Zagg. Otherwise I'd rather keep it bare.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
This has to be a joke right? You been a member since 2011 and you don't know what a screen protection does?

Dah...need help I put on my screen protector but it won't stay in place. I taped the sides around the edge of phone. But something doesn't seem right.

Also can anyone help with ideas to keep screen clean? I get all kinds of debris, dust, and fingerprints on my phone since I added screen protector. Cleaning it makes it worse, bits of tissue paper stick to it as well.
Help please!!!:confused:

Techexp2

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2016
Hi,

You could visit the links below for putting a screen protector

http://lifehacker.com/5927704/apply-a-screen-protector-perfectly-every-time-with-the-hinge-method

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-a-Screen-Protector

https://snapguide.com/guides/put-a-screen-protector-on-without-any-bubbles/

The screen can be cleaned with scratch resistant cloth (microfiber preferred) by dampening in water (do not spray or sprinkle). Clean the surface gently by not applying too much pressure.
[doublepost=1470749121][/doublepost]

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I remove mine with my fingernail. Never have broken one or had trouble.

As for what screen protectors do? Well, they protect the screen from scratches/drops. Easier to replace a $10 protector than a whole screen assembly.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Hard to know what I was worried about when I wrote this post over 2 years ago!!! :eek:
Two years ago, religious feces batman, I thought we were past the old thread resurrection time frame. New iPhone is almost upon us, need to begin ranting about it.

Last edited:

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
I gently and carefully used a hammer and chisel to remove one.
The result was spectacular ! Who'd have thought an iphone contained so many small parts ?

Phones aren't as durable as they used to be.

Shikhar9999

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2017
[doublepost=1485856854][/doublepost]Most smartphones have gorilla glass, which is unbreakable but gets scratched. So tempered glass is used to protect it from scratches. Hope this helps.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
[doublepost=1485856854][/doublepost]Most smartphones have gorilla glass, which is unbreakable but gets scratched. So tempered glass is used to protect it from scratches. Hope this helps.
Gorilla glass is far from "unbreakable" - it's harder and scratch resistant but that makes it more brittle: If you drop your phone it's very easy to smash the glass as these images illustrate

WvvqX7k.jpg

iphone-6-cracked-screen-cost.jpg

samsung-cracked-screen-note-7.jpg

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.