Anyone ever see a MBP do this???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoneMad, Apr 1, 2018.

1. GoneMad macrumors newbie

I went to open my MBP and it looked like there was something in it to keep it from closing flush. Turned out this happened. Was unplugged last used about 3 weeks ago just sitting on a shelf.

Attached Files:

2. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Looks like it broke by pressure from the inside - maybe due to a swollen battery? I‘d open the bottom plate and look into it.

3. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right. Battery swelled up. Never checked on replacements yet. Worth replacing or will these run without a battery?

Attached Files:

4. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Some MacBook Pros throttle a lot when used without a battery. You can test that by removing the battery, powering it on and run a benchmark like Geekbench. If it throttles, the score will be significantly lower than comparable machines.

In that case, you certainly should put a new battery in. At least both the battery and the trackpad are reasonably easy to replace yourself, if you choose to do so.

5. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. even though the trackpad is all cracked to crap, it still works now that its back in it's place. I think I found a battery for $40. I'll run the benchmark to see what goes on.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The trackpad is cheap and easy to replace, too.
    Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved, and what tools are required.