iPad Anyone ever tried to use a wifi back plate with a 3G model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by one1, Jun 25, 2014.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

Ok so I have a set of iPads (2nd gen). One is a 3G that I use as a wifi model and will never pay verizon for service on anymore. The other is a simple wifi model. That one has an issue that makes it good for parts mostly and the case is perfect as the glass is also white versus my black 3G one with scratches on the case.

I would not mind leaving out the 3G antenna guts since I never plan on using it if I could just make the 3G model fit in the wifi case. It would be a nice cosmetic upgrade, but I am sure there must be things that won't line up on the mobo where it screw to the case. That's why I am asking anyone who has held both in their hands and looked inside (not guessers please), what if anything prevents me from putting the 3G guts minus the antenna into the wifi case?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

While I appreciate any response, that has nothing to do with my post. Thank you for trying.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Did you bother to look at the link?

It will show you a tear down of each model, from that you should be able to tell what is different.

5. one1, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did and I do not have a 3rd gen as stated in the op.

As well I did indeed view the mobo's previously, but it doesn't help me to know the compatibility of the 3G model and the wifi model internal cases.

However, thank you again for trying.

I have attached an image of the issue with why the mobo's must be able to fit in the other cases.

Attached Files:

6. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

The answer to this question is that they will not change out in anyway whatsoever.

Attached Files:

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

May also be an issue with the antenna cables and some routing holes that may not be drilled into the wifi back housings.

8. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Odds are there are enough tiny differences in the design/shape of the unibodies and logic boards that it is probably ill-advisable. But it's iPad 2's we're talking about so knock yourself out!