Anyone ever try OWC Ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 16, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

I am thinking buying the samsung ram (for 2 gig) to upgrade my beloved macbook 2 gig SR. Anyone ever try buying it from there? Is it pretty good?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Are you kidding me? Have you even tried looking on your own? If you go into any RAM suggestion thread, OWC is always recommended.

3. ajx22 macrumors regular

Do a search - tons of people recommend them daily.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i'd recommend not only buying from owc but buying owc brand ram too

5. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I bought some RAM from there for both my old Power Mac G4 and eMac and never had any issues with it myself, but the girl who ended up having my eMac (sold it to my friend, who then sold it to his brother's wife) had some freezing issues with it. Not sure if it was the RAM that caused her issues, though.

6. McGiord, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

OWC is good

I always buy from them either is RAM or HDD or anything else that they offer.

I did have a problem with one SIMM for my eMac in 2003, they replaced it immediately. Nothing difficult to identify after installing your RAM if it doens't show in your Apple Profiler do a Hardware test and you are done. I am not sure if I created the problem because I didn't take any precaution about the static discharge, anyway they have very good customer service.

Also I'm running my MB with 3 Gb from them (2007) and it's working perfectly.
    ________
    List of Suzuki motorcycles history

7. Spievy macrumors regular

Same here, I have never had a problem.

8. Fahrwahr macrumors member

I've used OWC for RAM for several computers, including iMac G3s (tray- and slot-loading) and a MacBook. They've always had good prices from what I've seen, and I have yet to experience a RAM-related issue on any of the machines that have OWC RAM in them.

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

OWC has great ram and everything any Mac could use from G3 to Intel Mac's.

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Youll save a few bucks if you go with newegg.com, anywhere from 5 to 25 bucks depending how much ram you buy (newegg has free UPS shipping with most ram). Just as guaranteed to work in a mac. I'd recomend them, their reputation is unrivaled and they ship the same day like OWC.

11. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

Just bought 16-GB from OWC a couple weeks ago for my new Mac Pro (early 2008) - no problems so far.

12. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

not always the case. i would recommend pricing out the ram you're looking for on newegg.com, ramdirect.com, crucial.com, and owc. all are reliable/respectable and depending on the type/size of ram you're looking for i've found each to have competitive prices.

13. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

can't say for OWC, but my Crucial RAM runs great, and I think a host of other threads would agree. just another suggestion

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You can get 1 stick of 2gb laptop ram at newegg for 34 bucks or 2x1gb for 39 bucks. OWC's cheapest is 2x1gb for 49 bucks. So thats a $15 savings which is nice chunk of change (over 30% cheaper). If you go 4gbs then its like a $25 savings. Crucial is $45 for 2x1gb (newegg actually has that same crucial ram for $42).

15. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

sorry for any confusion... i wasn't saying that you were WRONG in this case... i was just saying i've found one site or another is not always consistently cheaper than the other on varying products. and i like to check around because i caught crucial during a special discount one time and i ended up saving about $90 on the order i was placing. just a good idea in general to 'shop around' a bit each time you're in the market for ram.

16. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

second the search but i would recommend OWC. It's what in my baby right now.

17. eswank macrumors 6502

OWC is the only RAM I've ever used. I don't trust anyone other company. I love their prices and their lifetime gurantee.

18. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I have 4G of OWC in my MacBook right now.

They have great prices and great shipping!

19. T4Show macrumors newbie

T4Show

I have used 4AllMemory. They had great customer service and the prices were reasonable.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm using Samsung RAM from OWC and it's perfect. I had some OWC-brand RAM in my old G5 and had a few random crashes but I never determined whether it was actually the RAM at fault.