Anyone ever use a Parrot AR Drone 2.0?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Apr 23, 2016.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I bought a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 from Amazon and received it today. From what I've seen and heard, this seemed like it'd be a great drone. The ability to live stream the drone's camera to your smart device, and the ability to control it from your phone, both sounded great. Either I've received a piece of s**t, or I'm not using it right. And I think I'm using it right.

For those unaware, the Parrot AR Drone broadcasts a WiFi signal, which you connect to with your smartphone. From there, you open its free app, which you download beforehand, and then you can control and pilot the drone. Not sure why I didn't realize this in its own sense was a shortcoming, but WiFi doesn't reach that well once the drone starts getting some height and/or distance. So now you have this $250 drone that's flown up 25' in the air, and suddenly you're unable to control it anymore because it's out of range. Awesome.

As if that's not bad enough, this thing has a mind of its own. It's pretty incredible actually how AI is coming along. I tell it to fly left, and it goes forward. Land it, let it rest, tell it to fly straight, and it ascends! I must have missed the feature on the box that said "does whatever it wants with or without your control."

Sending this POS back on Monday, for the second time, mind you, because the first one arrived inoperable. Turn it on, connect to the network, go to fly it and what happens? It flips upside down. Try again? Same thing. Over and over and over again. Called their support and was told that the propellers didn't have the proper inclination. Good to know. And conveniently, the drone does not come with a spare parts set. Nope, if you want that, you need to drop an extra wad of cash.

Beyond frustrated - if anyone has one of these things, can you tell me if my experience aligns with yours? Or perhaps I'm not doing something right?

2. monchoramos macrumors newbie

Hi I have one bought used its a ok starter drone yes wifi is not that great especially if you are in a area with wifi usage all over the place. Check to make sure props are placed correctly there are 2 A and 2 C and they have to be placed correctly .another thing check to see if you are using a tab or a phone each one works different I use a ipad4 with mine but I have used my Samsung galaxy s5 it work better with my iPad