Anyone excited about the possibility of a new revamped ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedisaga, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

All,

In lieu of the new "rumors" abound for the ipod touch refresh, I haven't read any postings (unless I missed something) about folks being a bit curious and excited that a new model may happen this year. How do you guys feel about the news released this week and are you excited? Pulse check...

J

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

not really, it is good as it is, I don't think it needs a huge amount of work.

3. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Unfortunately, with technology, the processor or other things become dated. We need a new processor that can handle newer software that may be released in the app store. Also, older hardware will not be able to update to new OS software. A refresh is almost necessary.

J

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This understand, the desire to widely change the form factor and add multiple new features I do not.

Note: A refresh is different from a revamp. Period refreshes are need every now and then, but like you say just keeps the device up, a "revamp" as is in the thread title suggests you wanted more than that, I was saying that I don't think more than a refresh is necessary.

I understand perfectly well that HW goes out of date and needs to be refreshed to run the latest software, perhaps even more than you.

5. jtre1 macrumors member

Me. I was not going to buy the " new" one in 2011, since they didn't really changed it. But I bought it anyways because I got a great deal . I can't wait till this fall for its successor

6. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

You may be well versed in technology and I'm definitely not debating it here with you, however, a revamp and refresh should happen to the device. If Apple were to keep the same technology and look/feel, how many people do you think would be interested in buying OLD models? How many NEW versions of the iphone has there been? Why do they keep updating it and REVAMPING it, so to increase sales and consumption. You may be up on technonogy but you definitely ARE NOT up on marketing.

J

----------

I agree... Definitely looking forward to the latest model and trading in my current 4g!

J

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You clearly misunderstood what I said, Put simply the iPod refresh of this year will be nothing major, just like the 4s was nothing (too) major. I didn't say that it would not get updated or that it would be exactly the same as the old device, hence unmarketable. Take the time to read - it saves us all time.

I hope the new iPod is good but I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything too revolutionary, they can only add so much before it becomes an iPhone already.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I might pick one up. But I am also in the process of getting a new phone, tablet and laptop so the iPod might have to wait.

9. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I stand corrected... Well, here's hoping that it is much more than last year's release (color change). I really luv the ipod touch and don't feel the need to have an iphone.

J

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It is incredibly short on RAM. We're starting to see phones coming out with 2gb's now. 256mb is just not enough. Spec's aren't everything, but they are important if you want your device to stay relevant.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw your other post.

11. chleuasme macrumors 6502

12. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I really think they could do an iPod touch that is all one color, white or black. And, get this, it will be seamless from front to back! Why not? iPods are already replaced easily through service and apple has gotten everyone used to built in batteries. Of course people will b*tch about it not being user friendly in opening it but I think the next step the iPod can make to stand out from its big brothers is in a blow away design. ( think seamless like Eve from Wall-E, in which apple had a hand in designing as well ;) )

13. intervenient macrumors 6502a

14. tehpea macrumors member

Nope. My 8 month old iPod touch 4 works just fine. I don't think more RAM is needed either, but that's just me -- iOS 5.1.1 no jailbreak runs fine :)

15. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I like where you were taking this. Kind of like the 2nd Gen Nano, in form, not in sixe. Matte black aluminum and seamless, would be really cool. That would be a worthy upgrade. :cool:

16. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I would expect Apple to revise the touch to have the same screen size as the iPhone"5". They'll probably put in the guts of the iPhone4s.

My thinking is that Apple will want to have as many devices using the longer aspect ratio so that developers will have incentive to update their apps (if they need to).

The more apps designed for the longer screen, the better.

ft - and yes, I'm getting excited about a new iPod touch. The kids have been pestering about getting their own iOS devices. They ain't getting an iPad, so it boils down to an iPad mini or a iPod touch. It'll be great if the mini comes out and the touch gets a revamp. They'll have a choice to make there.

17. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

A better camera is the only thing I would like to see other than the normal refresh stuff.:eek:

18. yoyomamma macrumors newbie

I was until I started up with the iPhone again. I don't really have a need anymore for the iPod. It's a tough thing for Apple right now because iPod sales are declining.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

But what is the cause/effect? Are iPod sales declining because there hasn't been a new model in 2 year? Or has Apple slowed development of the iPod because sales are declining?

It's the classic question, which came first, the Apple or the egg? :)

20. Zarkizon macrumors member

I'm fairly interested in a new iPod touch.

I am really hoping the 5th generation iPod touch gets significantly upgraded hardware. I'd like it to get bumped up to the same processor that is in the iPhone 4S, more RAM, 16 GB storage for the base model, and what I really want is a better camera + LED flash & 1080p video recording.

As far as software goes, I really hope that it is very compatible with iOS 6, meaning all of the features, including Siri.

21. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

do people think that last years iphone 5 teardrop design was actually for an ipod touch? it seemed too slim to be a phone

22. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I just sold my 4th gen. and miss it already, but figured I'd sell early before rumors really flare up and catch the attention of non-MacRumor readers. I will purchase a new iPod Touch or a new Nano depending on what new features the Nano gains. If I can get wifi on the nano for simple radio apps, I'd get that, otherwise it will be a new Touch. Also, what are people talking about here with a seamless design? It's already as seamless as possible with the chrome back! The only seam is where the glass meets and I doubt they'd do away with the glass...

There is a vote up button. Try that. These posts with "+1" and "This" are against forum rules. You must contribute to the discussion in your posts. Just a heads up.

23. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Only if it comes with a 3G/4G sim card slot option like ipads.