Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Kind of a neat feature that I never guessed would be on the watch.. I am an occupational health professional for oil & gas and constantly use sophisticated noise dosimeters when evaluating sites. I am excited to compare how the watch performs against a $1200 piece of equipment. Haha, anyone else?

Reactions: the future

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Me. I think anything like this is always a welcome addition. From the quick glimpses on the internet it’s surprisingly accurate too.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I am sure some will have a use for it. Me, No not sure I would ever have a need. When something is loud I move away or put on hearing protection.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm not excited for it but I'm interested in using it. I'm one of those weirdos that wears earplugs during concerts and I've always wondered what the decibel level is when my clothes are vibrating from the sound!
There’s nothing weird about that. Save your hearing because once it’s gone, it doesn’t come back. Nothing cool about hearing loss for the sake of a concert. The general rule of thumb is if it’s causing pain, it’s causing loss.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not that exciting for me. Seldom around anything that reaches dangerous decibels.

The loudest thing I am around is my commercial Toro mower and I wear Bose noise canceling headphones while riding. Led Zeppelin and Emerson Lake and Palmer are my choice while mowing my 2.5 acres.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It will be rather interesting to see the accuracy of it. I plan to test it vigorously in different environments with a 3M Edge 5 dosimeter!

There's a recent tweet testing it with a professional equipment and it comes out very close. Sorry, didn't save the tweet but it's there.
Looking forward to the feature. The only not-so-good point about it is it needs Series 4. Would love to have it on my Series 3.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I’m looking forward to it. Just wish this was around years ago before my ears got beat up

Same here, too much "young and stupid" rifle/pistol shooting without hearing protection, coupled with being below decks on a ship while the deckies were using chipping hammers, etc.. Now, I wish I hadn't been so invincible back then.. *sigh* Too late for me, but it might be interesting to play with.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
While it's not as accurate as those sound meters used in silencer tests and isn't a game changing feature for me, it'd be interesting to see how loud some of the places I spend time in are.

I look at it like the rest health tracking features on Apple Watch. Are they absolutely necessary? Not really. But it's very interesting to be able to quantify that information. Who knows, maybe someone smarter than I am can think of something useful to do with that information.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Same here, too much "young and stupid" rifle/pistol shooting without hearing protection, coupled with being below decks on a ship while the deckies were using chipping hammers, etc.. Now, I wish I hadn't been so invincible back then.. *sigh* Too late for me, but it might be interesting to play with.

Navy?

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
There is one movie theater I go to occasionally that seemed overly loud to me... I actually downloaded an iPhone app to monitor it. It found they are usually just below the threshold, although sometimes over. I stopped going there, but I would love to have that functionality available automatically all the time. I think people underestimate how easy it is to damage your hearing -- for example most lawn mowers will over time.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
For iOS, one of the better noise level measuring apps I found was NIOSH Sound Level Meter.
It's free and about as accurate as they can be using a built in mic in an iPhone or iPad.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
USA
For iOS, one of the better noise level measuring apps I found was NIOSH Sound Level Meter.
It's free and about as accurate as they can be using a built in mic in an iPhone or iPad.

Its pretty accurate. However, I did a serious of tests with that app on a construction site and was disappointed in the readings. For a normal day to day, it works very good though.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Its pretty accurate. However, I did a serious of tests with that app on a construction site and was disappointed in the readings. For a normal day to day, it works very good though.

Disappointed by the accuracy on a construction site or disappointed to discover that being on a construction site is damaging your hearing? :D

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Disappointed by the accuracy on a construction site or disappointed to discover that being on a construction site is damaging your hearing? :D

The accuracy, I am the guy that goes to construction sites and measures air, noise, etc.. to prevent people from damaging their hearing. I’m always geared up to prevent any damage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The accuracy, I am the guy that goes to construction sites and measures air, noise, etc.. to prevent people from damaging their hearing. I’m always geared up to prevent any damage

I'm actually really interested to see how the watch measurements compare to the ones you take.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I work in a fairly noisy environment testing Xerox Production Printers. I've already filed one noise complaint for our lab due to an unshielded compressor that is super load, though still falls within Xerox's tolerances. It'll be interesting to be able to test the noise level whenever I feel like it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I think it’s a great addition.

I’ve suffered hearing loss as well as tinnitus in my left ear without knowing the cause. My only suspicion is that I’ve been renovating my house and have run quite a few power tools.

Perhaps an alert of this nature could’ve saved me significant medical bills as well as my hearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.