Anyone experience purchase from a PeachMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MB98XJ, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I have a PeachMac locally and stopped in to see what its about.

Here is what they told me:

1. They can give me the education discount
    2. Instead of doing the iPod Touch deal, they give you $150 off the laptop.
    3. They give you a 4th year of AppleCare.
    4. Their printer deal ended on the 27th.

My friend is an Apple representative on my college campus and is wondering how PeachMac can do this. What are the downsides to buying from a Peachmac?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're FOS.

They CANNOT extend AC.
    They CANNOT give you the iPod deal because they cannot give an iPod away for free as they probably don't have them.
    They can give you a discount and call it whatever they want so ...

I call full-o-****.

3. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

beware!! if it's not apple authorized it's probably not worth buying from...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

jessica. is completely correct. They CANNOT do these things.

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

If you look at their site, it clearly states that they do offer the educational discount. This makes sense as in Athens there is one of the largest public universities in the United States.

On the 4th year of service, if they paint it as free labor done by them that seems reasonable.

I imagine they could do a printer rebate.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Why can't they?

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Well, peachmac shows up in Apple's service provider database and also as an authorized reseller.

I've never heard of a 4 year AppleCare, so like someone else said, it is probably just that they themselves provide warranty service for another year.

8. kmiahali macrumors regular

kmiahali

I would buy only from authorized resellers, you may not know about their warranty and they may not offer support if your computer should get messed up. I Would suggest buying from Apple or a company like Best Buy.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Looks to me like they are catering to their student demographic and making sure they get the business and not Apple's online store. I imagine the extra year is a decent incentive to cover those doing 4 years of study. Same with the other offers.

10. pinak macrumors newbie

Just asking, but why are you buying from PeachMac, if you are unsure of their service. Unless you need a Mac right now, you should order it from Apple. Because, it looks like you're in college, you're eligible for Apple's educational discount, and you get a free printer, iPod Touch 2nd Gen 8Gb and $50 - $150 off your computer. And Peach Mac does not exactly look phony, but to be on the safe side, I say buy from apple.

11. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

Because they will give me 150 off the computer instead of the ipod deal. which is awesome because i don't need the ipod because i have an iphone. and that is on top of the education discount. Which actually turns out to be an awesome deal.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how long have they been in business?

If its been many years (more than 4) you should be safe as it looks like a local store giving you the "extra year" of service...

13. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

The 2nd gen 8gb iPod Touch has been going for $170-200 on eBay. (I just sold mine in person for $175 cash)

I would just buy from Apple.

14. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Actually how about this, they have their own warranty system that extends after Applecare and they take care of any issues.

They aren't giving the iPod deal, they are saying they will MATCH it, by giving $150 off the laptop.

So in fact they can do these things, and they look / seem pretty legit to me.

To automatically say they are "FOS" and whatever is a premature assumption. All of the things he listed ARE possible.

15. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

I believe the store is about 1 year old maybe less. They just opened up not to long ago, and possibly in this economy they may shut down. Just a thought. But maybe you guys are right, maybe I should just buy from Apple.

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Don't let the negativity on here bother you, most of it was uninformed.

Their other store appears to have been around for years, I don't see anything to worry about in buying from them. Go wherever is cheapest, you are covered by Apple eitherway. As for the economy thing, Apple products are selling fine.