Anyone experience weird OSX glitches?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applemagic123, Feb 6, 2011.

1. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

For example, I just reformatted my iMac HD the day before yesterday, set all my preferences just the way I like in system preferences, did all the software updates, added all my apps from the external HD, added all my music into iTunes from the external HD, and repaired permissions (I reformat my hd once a year to give my hd a fresh start, and it's good for the hd anyway, and that's the usual order that I do everything in when I do a reformat an reinstall).

Anyway, today, I experienced the WEIRDEST glitch EVER! I opened firefox (barely use safari, hate it), go to the page I want to go to. I used the scroll wheel on my mouse because I wanted to scroll the page down, but instead of doing that, it ZOOMED in instead. I was like, "WTF!!" So I scrolled the wheel up to zoom out. Afterward, I clicked on system preferences in my dock to check my settings for the 'zoom' option because I swear I had the zoom set by clicking COMMAND and then the scroll wheel. BUT, rather than opening sys. prefs, it opened the FINDER to the apps folder with sys prefs highlighted. Another weird thing is that I set the finder's preferences to open up to my home folder, not the apps folder. (I'm not crazy and I'm not on drugs, I clicked the sys prefs icon in the dock, and finder opened) Again, I was like, "WTF!!"

I quit firefox and THEN clicked on system preferences, it then opened system preferences like normal. I checked my settings for the zoom option, and it was indeed "COMMAND scrollwheel" for zoom. Again, I was like, "WTF!!" I open firefox, go to the page, and the scroll wheel was working as normal again, scrolling the web page up and down. Pretty weird if you ask me!! Especially since I just reformatted! I've NEVER experienced anything quite like this before.

Have any of you ever experienced weird glitches with osx that went away and worked normally like my story?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Not to sound funny, but you should check if your elbow is accidentally depressing the option or control key while you are experiencing this.

That would explain everything you're describing..

4. applemagic123 thread starter macrumors regular

applemagic123

Nah dude. One hand was on the mouse, the other on my lap or something, definitely not accidentally touching any area of the keyboard. Good call though.

This thread can be about ANY glitches, not just the one I experienced. Any stories, anyone?

5. deanbar macrumors member

Yes, similar zoom problem

Yes, I've had similar zoom problems occasionally. I bought refurbished iMac in January, and after a couple of weeks, screen suddenly zoomed up, so that menu bar disappeared and could not quit any programs or shutdown, and Dock was almost chopped off.

Nothing I tried could restore normal screen. I was able to just about click on sys prefs and tried screen/display options, but nothing worked, had to do emergency restart.

This has happened about 3 times, randomly, cannot see a common thread of actions that I did, to cause this. Will contact Apple Care to try to sort out as still in warranty period.

Will post again if I find cause. :confused: