Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeroomega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Bay area, CA
Mine arrived yesterday morning but as soon as I removed the protective plastic film, I found the top right of the screen is heavily scratched. It's the first time I experience a scratched screen from a brand new phone. I am wondering if it is a common issue. I need to wait another 2 weeks for my replacement SE. Feel so bad.

IMG_20200424_112207.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: bchreng

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Mine arrived yesterday morning but as soon as I removed the protective plastic film, I found the top right of the screen is heavily scratched. It's the first time I experience a scratched screen from a brand new phone. I am wondering if it is a common issue. I need to wait another 2 weeks for my replacement SE. Feel so bad.

View attachment 909272

I’ve had many iPhones since they first launched, I’ve not had any issues with damage upon delivery thankfully.

Can you not escalate it with Apple? Just say that a two week wait is unacceptable.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Defects happen and that's what the warranty is for. As far as a common issue, the phone was just released so how could it be common on the SE? All models of phones have phones that will be damaged during assembly and make it through QC... Nothing new

zeroomega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Bay area, CA
I’ve had many iPhones since they first launched, I’ve not had any issues with damage upon delivery thankfully.

Can you not escalate it with Apple? Just say that a two week wait is unacceptable.
I already submit the replacement request. While customer service said they would try to ship the replacement asap, but the estimate delivery date is around May 15th. I don't think that is something can be controlled given this is a new phone.
[automerge]1587841265[/automerge]
Defects happen and that's what the warranty is for. As far as a common issue, the phone was just released so how could it be common on the SE? All models of phones have phones that will be damaged during assembly and make it through QC... Nothing new
Yes, defects happens. My previous 2016 SE has a home button that sometimes makes a weird sound but it is understandable since it is difficult to observe. But the scratch I saw was so obvious that it is hard to think it can easily pass the QC pipeline. Given the fact that whole world is disrupted by coronavirus and the factory was just recently reopened, I just want to know if someone else experienced the same/similar issues.

Last edited:

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Mine had scratches on the top aluminum straight out of the box. Maybe yours was part of my batch. :( Definitely sucks having to wait to get a replacement, but I'm trying to stay positive and hope it ships early.

Reactions: zeroomega

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Always a quality control gamble. Not making up excuses for it, but that's been the case even with the most expensive iPhones.

Reactions: acorntoy

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Always a quality control gamble. Not making up excuses for it, but that's been the case even with the most expensive iPhones.

Any item that's produced and shipped at the quantity of iPhones is going to have some defective units. This is why warranties exist.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m sure I’ll regret this, but up until and including my SE2, with so many iDevices I can’t possibly count them, I have never gotten a product from Apple that was defective out of the box, not even a refurb, not even my 11” pro - no bend.

Of course now it’s inevitable. ;-p

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I’m sure I’ll regret this, but up until and including my SE2, with so many iDevices I can’t possibly count them, I have never gotten a product from Apple that was defective out of the box, not even a refurb, not even my 11” pro - no bend.

Same here.

iPhone
iPhone 3g
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone SE (2016)
iPhone 7
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone XR
iPhone 11
iPhone SE (iPhone 2020)

Reactions: compwiz1202

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Same here.

iPhone
iPhone 3g
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone SE (2016)
iPhone 7
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone XR
iPhone 11
iPhone SE (iPhone 2020)

I have had almost every one of those as well (no X), and I cannot begin to count the iPads (I've had almost every one ever released, and have bought a lot of them for my grandkids, laptops (well, I actually think I COULD count the laptops - we have had 6 total), plus I had an eMac, and am on my 4th iMac. I can't forget about iPods, nanos, shuffles, etc.

We definitely drink the Apple kool-aid around here.

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

RayB4

macrumors member
Mine was OK out of the box but after three days it disconnected from wi-fi and refused to reconnect. After a couple of hours on the phone to Support they agreed to replace it.
First time I’ve had a problem with an Apple device.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is also a device solely manufactured in India. Correct?

Could see an uptick in initial QC issues.

The original SE had manufactured units in the Bangalore plant in India/but also has production in China. I believe Apple entirely shifted the SE 2 production in Shenzhen, China if I recall accurately.

Reactions: Glideslope

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

The only issue I ever had was a refurb 6+ I think from AT&T. There was a defect where I couldn't drag anything past the vertical center of the screen. Took it to Apple, and they replaced it for free. Never had any issues with an iPhone directly from Apple.
[automerge]1589313363[/automerge]
Same here.

iPhone
iPhone 3g
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone SE (2016)
iPhone 7
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone XR
iPhone 11
iPhone SE (iPhone 2020)
No original
3G
One of the 4 and 5 don't remember it they were the regular or s though
6+
No 7 tried out the Note and GS8+ in that range
Got sick of Oreo taking forever for GS8+ and came back to Apple with 8+
XS Max
11PM
SE 2020

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.