Anyone experienced with Apple's Mail-In Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

Hello!

My unibody MBP's display does not remain closed in the messenger bag and I had four repairs for the same issue. When I got my machine back from the fourth repair, the problem is still happening. I called the senior advisor and he said it's not worth another repair. So he is going to offer me a mail-in replacement.

My question: Since I need to send this machine back before they issue me a replacement, how long will it take to get my replacement?

Do I need to send the product box back to them as well? (I already lost it).

Thanks guys!

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Have them send you a shipping box which will arrive the next day. You will only ship the MBP and I believe they will ship the replacement once the old machine is scanned into the FedEx/DHL system.

3. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I believe you have an option of having them send it to an apple store. Then all you have to do is drive and swap the machines.

I personally don't have experience with this, but my co-worker just did something similar after his mbp had some issues. Nice thing was his "replacement" laptop must have been some kind of refurb, because it had a few upgrades his orginal didn't have.

4. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! But I hope they offer me a brand new MBP, instead of refurb ones.

5. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I received a replacement MacBook Pro after my PowerBook G4 died under AppleCare a few years ago. Apple was very nice and the process was painless. They sent me a prepaid coffin, excuse me, 'box' for my PowerBook so it could be send it in for service. After the replacement was approved they overnight-ed the new MacBook Pro. I had it the next day. I was sent a brand new, unopened/non-refurbished MacBook Pro.

The nice folk even offered to ship back my PowerBook in case I needed to collect anything off of my hard drive. Of course, I erased it before sending it out so it wasn't necessary.

I cannot vouch for what others have said about going to an official Apple Store and getting a replacement on the spot. There weren't any Apple Stores in my area when I had the experience above. Good luck!

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You can have them put a hold on your credit card for the cost of the new MacBook Pro and have them ship you the new computer first. That way you can have no downtime whatsoever. The new computer should arrive in about the same amount of time that it would take if your ordered it from the Apple store, perhaps a couple of days longer.

7. hippo206 macrumors 6502

to be clear, i don't know if he got a refurb.... I only said refurb because some of the options in his new MBP were BTO options. For all I know he could have received a new machine.

8. donkynutz macrumors newbie

Apple will replace it with what they have, usually that means refurb but we all know for the most part that the refurbs are just as good as new or better because sometime you get extra goodies. Unfortunately you do not have a choice but again if there is any issues you can return it. Also I believe you have the option for APP as well.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have never heard of Apple replacing a computer with a refurbished model, only a new model.

10. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

I just received an email from Apple Care Team to verify the shipping address and replacement configuration. It seems I won't get the new machine before class starts