Anyone experiencing slow Internet ONLY on their 3rd gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chupa Chupa, May 6, 2012.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have 25/25 FiOS via AEBS (current 802.11a/b/g/n dual band) and also LTE service but so many times my Internet d/l speed on my 3rd gen iPad randomly drops to sub-1 mbps or even dial up speed. At the same time my Internet speed on my Macs via WiFi is 25/25.

Also AEBS is set up to display "5 GHz" next the 802.11n-only SSID. That SSID rarely appears on my iPad. Usually only the 802.11 a/b/g SSID is available even though "n" is always available on my Macs throughout my house.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or is it just me?

2. mcsenerd macrumors regular

I don't have my wireless setup that way, so I don't know if it's fair to make any kind of comparison...but I haven't really had near the wireless issues that I had with the first iPad. Maybe folks have forgotten how many peeps had wireless issues out of the gate with the original. I think that Apple even included a fix or two n some of the subsequent iOS updates... In any case...you're not the first person to notice that sort of thing. Maybe you should open a case up with them or take into an Apple store and explain it to them? Maybe they'd replace it and a new one would be better? Have you changed any of the advance wireless settings such as channel selection and radio power on the AE?

3. harlex, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

harlex macrumors member

I have a bthome hub 3 with infinity 2 running at 70 Mbs in my studio which is on the ground floor and in my bedroom which is on the floor above on the other side of the house, it is not a very large property the distance is well within the routers specs of coverage, there I have 2 to 3 bars intermittently showing in the wifi. I watch TV on it and this is always dropping out either on my i7 MBP and also my NEW iPad.

I thought about a range extender as I have no way of putting the router in a different position in the house as my wife has a great aversion to wires. Somehow I agree with her.

I don't think the Wifi by Broadcomm is really up to it. I do know that Broadcomm has introduced a new version and I am sure this will be in the next range of Apple products.

4. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

What are you using to test your speeds?

I used speedtest.net which works well on my laptop through the browser but on my ipad 3 64gb wifi + 4g im only getting 0.5mbps