Anyone experiencing slower Internet on their 15" 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Internet on my 15" 2016 MBP (2.6Ghz) seemed slow since I finished setting it up so I ran a few speed tests from various sites (HTML5). I have 50/50 FIOS and the sites reported me getting an avg of 25/70, so slow on the download, exceeding on the upload.

As I finished each test I then repeated with my 15" 2012 rMBP sitting right next to the 2015. They all reported near perfect 45ish down and 85ish up.

Next I cued up Safari on both with web sites I don't often go to, ensuring nothing was cached, and then hit "return" on both simultaneously. The 2012 was first to go to the site and also first to finish loading. Did that a few more times with other sites, same results.

It's clear something wonky is going on with the 2016, I just don't know if its this machine or something that affects them all. Both the 2012 and 2016 are set up identically and the only Safari extension I use is Ghostery.

So anyone else experiencing Internet speed lower than what you should be getting or slower than other machines in the same room?

2. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Do you have something connected to the USB-C port aside from the charge? I think YouTuber Louis Rossmann posted that there are WiFi issues when you have a dongle connected. Try logging on the the 5Ghz channel if your router has it.

3. sinoka56 macrumors regular

4. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, neither laptop had anything plugged into them and all my computers are set to use the 5ghz channel by default. I saw Rossman's video but it seemed the WiFi just stopped altogether in his case but then worked OK when he unplugged. I'm getting WiFi, it's just that the d/l speed is about half of what it should be on the new one.

5. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Ah ok. Well Plan B - Genius Bar. Or plan C - get it exchanged because that's definitely not normal

6. falkirk18 macrumors newbie

Bought 2 new 15" pro's.... and there is something definitely wrong with the wifi. One won't connect to any network, while the other works fine sitting 5 feet away from it. And when I restart it, it connects for a minute or two, then craps out...

Really disappointed overall with the product so far.

7. tjleonard macrumors 6502

I know on the 5ghz Wifi, I get 265mb down and 21mb up. I'm paying for 300mb down and 20 up, so as close as I am on wifi is amazing enough.

8. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Reran the tests this AM - same result as expected so I have a Genius appt. this afternoon. I'm going to bring my 2012 too since it's my test benchmark against the 2016. I'll test in the store before my appt and if it happens w/ Apple's WiFi will go forward with seeing the Genius and if they have an instant fix. Otherwise I'll return it and will wait a couple months and see how other early adopters are coming along.

I'll update tonight after one of these things happens.