Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Anyone experiencing this watch next bug?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
So I bought another show I love, the 1978 series The Incredible Hulk. All four seasons.

It's in watch now, showing as 'purchased.' I intend to start it from the first episode, the pilot, that introduces the story.

Welp, it thinks season 1 episode 1 is actually episode four, titled 'Final knockdown'

confused, I back out, try to skip back. Cannot. So exit the TV App, go to TV Shows, and purchased, and voila, the pilot along with the other two parter 'Death in the family' (an excellent episode guest starring William Daniels) available and watchable. So I start the real episode one, then back out so I can use the TV app again hoping it can resume (since the TV app auto-queues the episodes without me needing two once another finishes) and sure enough, it appears to list Episode 1 correctly, but tap it, and again, it continues episode 4 again. WTF?

I just concede to watching it from the TV shows and purchased tab.

This also happens with certain episodes of Saved by the Bell, another series I purchased. Sometimes, shows that I buy that are 'complete series' such as Babylon 5, try to charge me for some episodes. Bab 5 for example tried to make me buy for $1.99, the second part of a two-parter season one episode, right after I had watched it. (it also had it showing as the wrong episode number). Are you Afraid of the Dark?, a Nickelodeon show part of my Nick Hits subscription does this as well, some episodes make me buy them again.

Anyone else having this? Maybe resetting and dealing with the hell of installing and remembering the logins to most apps isn't such a bad idea? Oh, and it's looping the same cityscape screensaver video over and over again as well.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2015
With Hulk It’s because the TV App runs off broadcast order of seasons which the pilot along with the 2 part movie wasn’t the start of season 1 so list as extra episodes at the end of season 1 as 101, 103 & 104.
If you watch the pilot and the TV movie first through purchased then start at episode 1 and carry on via the TV App that should then just follow on, obviously after you’ve watched episode 10 you’ll need to skip past the next 3 to start season 2.

I’ve got similar issues withBatman The Animated Series which back in original broadcast they just aired them in any old order so that’s the way the TV app lists them so some of the double episodes are not next to each other.
The TV shows app lists them in production order so am currently watching season 1 via the TV shows app.

Then I’ve got Thunderbirds which the iTunes Store listing/TV shows app lists the episodes in production order which isn’t the correct broadcast order so watching via the TV app puts them into the correct broadcast order.

Im not so sure what could be the issue with the episodes asking you to buy.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Well that sucks. I thought it was bad enough my Disney+ shows line up with very oddball seasons like Goof Troop incorrectly calling it Season 10 episode 110 (there were only two seasons of Goof Troop) among others...

I thought it was some sort of limit on whether the show was in syndication (where there are episodes unaired in broadcast version, often with a longer/different intro sequence) or not, but it's still odd. When MeTV (an over-the-air broadcast classic TV network) aired the first season of The Incredible Hulk, it started at the pilot, and made it part of a 'marathon' introducing the show. Obviously episode 2 ended part one with 'to be continued' but it still preserved the order.

Babylon 5 at least kept its pilot, The Gathering, intact...Even in Up Next.

What up with certain episodes making me buy them individually though? even for 'complete series' it comes up usually at the end or beginning of a season?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2015
When MeTV (an over-the-air broadcast classic TV network) aired the first season of The Incredible Hulk, it started at the pilot, and made it part of a 'marathon' introducing the show. Obviously episode 2 ended part one with 'to be continued' but it still preserved the order.
According to Wikipedia the first two were first broadcast in 1977 then the series started 4 months later in 1978

The series began with two, two-hour made-for-TV movies on November 4, 1977 and November 27, 1977. Regular one-hour episodes began on March 10, 1978 and ended on May 12, 1982.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
I'm not talking about the original airing, I'm referring to the fact MeTV still airs the pilot and the two-parter after, and they're a broadcast network so even they don't follow the so-called 'broadcast order'

Besides, losing those episodes you pretty much miss the most important part of the story. How Banner became Hulk, why Mr. Magee is chasing him, and so on. There's a lot of dark drama in the series and especially that first episode. It may be '70s camp in many areas, but it still brings tears watching it. First two loves in my life died early deaths too so it hits home for me quite often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.