Anyone familiar with micron ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shanewilliams, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at upgrading my 2.0ghz MacBook which still has the original 1gb of ram in it. It's served me well but it's time to upgrade the ram finally. According to OWC it's upgradeable to 4gb of
    Ram but can only use the first 3. First off can anyone verify this? Next has anyone used micron ram? It's available locally at a great price. A 2gb stick is actually about $20 cheaper Then the Kingston valueram that another store has on sale right now. I'm not really familiar with alot of brands of ram as I usually just use what came in the computer and make the best of it. So basically I guess it boils down to is the micron worth $30 for a 2gb stick of pc5300 or is the Kingston valueram 2gb stick for $45 a better deal?? Thanks!

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If it's an actual Micron stick (not just Micron chips on a third-party stick,) then it's one of the highest-quality brands out there.

When I worked at Intel's server division, we *ONLY* used Micron RAM. Usually more expensive by a little, but rock-solid stable and reliable. Later, working in a smallish OEM, we used many different brands, but Micron had the lowest return rate. By a LOT.

To note, Micron does not sell Micron-branded RAM to the public, only to OEMs. They do sell direct to the public under their brand Crucial, though.

3. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes alot of sense then. The micron ram is available through a local computer/networking company, if I understood correctly these sticks
    Were pulled from some laptops that were sold to a local police department and the ram was upgraded by this company off the bat. So they have about 30 or so of these sticks available. They are being offered as "new" sticks even though they've been in a laptop before. So from the sounds of it they are probably far better then the Kingston valueram. The company selling them are backing them with a 1 year exchange or money back warranty so I guess I can't go wrong.