Anyone familiar with the EyeTV 200

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by docprego, Nov 19, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Over the weekend I was at a thrift store and spotted a silver box with a remote taped to it. I investigated and to my amazement it was an EyeTV 200 by Elgato. It had a $3 price tag on it so of course I bought it.

I am wondering what advantages it might offer over my current Miglia TV Micro tuner?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Seems like the EyeTV 200 uses hardware encoding rather than software encoding. This should allow you to pause and play tv without having to record. I have an EyeTV hybrid and used to have an EyeTV USB so I'm just looking at spec pages.

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

The unit worked fine so it was a great $3 spent. However i discovered something about it that I don't like. There is a noticeable delay in displaying the image. At first I thought it was the delay my cable box had between channel switching but I remembered that with my Miglia TV Micro there was no delay. So I reinstalled the Miglia and all is well. This EyeTV 200 will make a nice second tuner to add to my other Mac anyway. What is really interesting is that the EyeTV 200 is Firewire and the Miglia is USB 2.0. You would think the firewire would be faster but this is not the case for the EyeTV 200.