Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My Portable is DEAD. It worked when I first got it, but slowly, slowly started getting worse and worse. Like an old model T it used to take a few starts before it would run properly.

I pulled it out 2 days ago and it just refused to run. Upon trying to start it, it just went "pfft" very softly. Last night I tried again and I got the start up chime and it tried to start itself, but then it stopped, then started again, over and over again until I shut it off.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
5300cs said:
My Portable is DEAD. It worked when I first got it, but slowly, slowly started getting worse and worse. Like an old model T it used to take a few starts before it would run properly.

I pulled it out 2 days ago and it just refused to run. Upon trying to start it, it just went "pfft" very softly. Last night I tried again and I got the start up chime and it tried to start itself, but then it stopped, then started again, over and over again until I shut it off.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Hate to sound snide but basically it's old and dead. Old age has killed your Mac Portable, there could be a myriad of things wrong with it but they're gonna be annoying to fix. Might be time to draw the curtains around the old dear.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Used to have one myself... wish I still had it, and my old SE too, and my Powerbook 160

Good luck!

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
It went like this for a bit when I tried it again the other day. Now it's completely dead I think.

I'm just going to put it back into the closet until I figure out what to do with it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5300cs said:
It went like this for a bit when I tried it again the other day. Now it's completely dead I think.

I'm just going to put it back into the closet until I figure out what to do with it.

How did you get such a crisp, clear QT 7 icon to show? Maybe it wants an upgrade? :p

But seriously, the link is busted. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.