Anyone fed up with this excuse(computer related)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iamamthelawl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. iamamthelawl macrumors newbie

I was talking to someone on an apple board and they were telling someone to buy a mac. The person sounded pretty convinced but then asked what about my games. The guy said there is boot camp so its fine.

I do not like the boot camp argument for windows exclusive stuff. It feels if I use it i am admitting defeat and just running windows on my mac which a windows box would be cheaper. Some people have the "if its not on the mac its not worth it idea" , but in my opinion the making alternatives for the programs that are exclusive or just starting some programs for games, development, ect would be better than boot camp. It just feels like if you are going to buy and use a mac you should use it 100%. If I was just planning to play with it for about 12% of my time on my computer I would just build a hackintosh.

Anyone agree?
    I did not see a general apple users discussion.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, I think you're the only one fed up with that, and you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

3. idyll macrumors 6502

I agree.

OS X is better, but Windows has a bigger base of gamers at the moment so that's what gaming developers make games for. What can you do? Hey, at least it's a start.. more people coming to the Mac side, maybe eventually gaming developers will catch up and the coin will be flipped. Kind of like the Prius. Not very economically / environmentally smart, but at least it's a step forward towards better things. How do you like that for an apples vs oranges comparison :)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

I would add:

- The beauty of the Mac is having two computers in one. Very handy for portable computing since you do not need to carry two computers.

- As the Mac market share increases, we will see more games running native on the Mac OS which is great for the gamers. This change will take time.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Not to mention a lot of gaming is swinging back to consoles.

But that's another argument. Ultimately it would be nice for more developers to release Mac games. The biggest hinderance is that the Mac Pro is the only rig that could be used for the kind of gaming gamers go for, but it starts at the top tier of pricing that PC towers go for. Maybe if Apple had an upgradeable midtower and could use standard PC GFX cards then we'd see a surge in Mac gaming. Though that'd call for Apple to release a midtower and AMD and Nvidia to release BIOS and EFI compatible chipsets on all cards.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Apple are trying to get into the gaming market more, EA made a bunch of OS X games recently, and there is a high-end graphics card in the 3.66GHz iMac.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I disagree with you completely. It seems like you are completely against using Windows for running Windows programs for absolutely no reason. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Don't see how using BootCamp to run those games/programs that don't otherwise run on Mac isn't using it 100%. I used to be into gaming pretty hardcore and had both platforms. If that were still the case today I can't imagine having both, I'd just have a more powerful Mac and bring up BootCamp.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd agree. You should use a machine optimised for what you're going to do most, not a machine which supposedly runs a better (or just more idiot-proof?) OS for the sake of it which involves compromises when you're booting up a use for it which requires the most out of it. That approach and trying to justify it somehow is pretty laughable.

The Hackintosh scene is coming along - and if you do want to use OSX for at least part of the time it is becoming a more viable solution. The only problem for those of us who want to use it part of the time and prefer a Windows-optimised solution yet need to do so in a commercial manner, we still need substandard Apple hardware for a supported configuration. And as it happens although it's installed on a few I don't bother Boot Camping any of my Macs with any degree of regularity these days - it's an inferior Windows experience to a machine of comparable class which is meant for Windows from the outset. If you don't notice that, your previous rig sucked.

10. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I think anyone who plays games or is friends with people who play games online would love to see things like STEAM ported for the Mac. But the developers don't want to. What's Apple supposed to do? Force them to?

They can't.

Just play the waiting game, and hope they start attending to Macs.

If not, it looks like BootCamp is your only option to play PC games.