Anyone feeling a little warmer since 10.6.3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrchinchilla, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I've noticed more general CPU usage, although less with Flash :)rolleyes:), namely WindowServer has been getting up to about 20~30%+ when doing something as simple as scrolling down a webpage.

2. futurase macrumors member

futurase

I have as well. My 3.06 Dual core Early 2009 iMac now has the cores at half capacity or more all the time. The processors are always active. Didn't do this before the update for sure.

Lots of the time with the machine sitting after bootup with nothing running but iStat Pro one core will be pegged and then it will switch to the other. My machine seems as fast just the processors are working tons more than normal. This seems odd.

Norman Ross Jr.

3. greg400 macrumors 6502

Both of my machines are running great. Might want to check "All Processes" in Activity Monitor to see what might be causing your high CPU usage because I've noticed a decrease in temperature in comparison to 10.6.2.

4. futurase macrumors member

futurase

Great tip!!!!! I did just that and EVERYTHING said like 0 or 1% EXCEPT APC Powerchute for my APC battery backup and it says 99 or 100%. Looks like it is not compatible with 10.6.3.

How would one remove the software since after installing it, it is in the System Preferences pane?

Thanks,

Norman Ross Jr.

5. greg400 macrumors 6502

All you have to do is right click(or control click) the preference pane then click remove.

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

You don't need that software. I emailed APC about there software and was told its built in to the OS. Both my APC units are working without the software in tiger and SL.

7. Halidon7 macrumors newbie

New Macbook Pro Heating Up

I have the Unibody Macbook Pro (Feb 2010) and found that the CPU temperature rose from 120 to 140 deg F in under 5 minutes while using Firefox for browsing . I checked the activity monitor and it showed that Firefox was using 43%!! Everything else was 0 or in decimals. I tried using Safari for the same web pages and monitored it on Activity monitor, the usage was not more than 23%. Has anyone else had this problem? Hate to think my precious Macbook is flawed :-(

8. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I would say that if you are using a unibody macbook pro those cpu usages for both firefox and safari are a bit high (but maybe you have a lot of media rich websites loaded) but firefox in my experience always uses more cpu than safari. That's the only reason I sometimes use safari even though features wise I rather despise the browser:mad:

I haven't upgraded yet so I can't speak on 10.6.3 yet

9. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

Firefox is a resource and memory HOG.... gets worse if you use Chrome..

to reduce the overall load even with Safari, I'v added adblock and "ClickTo Flash" to reduce the load when on media heavy sites...

works a charm at reducing heat and fans on both my Air and MacBook Alu... only place I have not installed the helpers is on my iMAC.. (late 2009) as it never gets in to a sweat (except under bootcamp win 7 !!!!)