Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Curious as I really like the new iOS 7-ish dock on the left/right but hate my dock on the left or right. :eek:

The old terminal hack doesn't work but I wondered if someone had figured it out.

:)

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Still no further to finding out.

Surely it's not impossible with a terminal tweak?

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
I am really interested in this too. I am willing to say that it just isn't possible since someone has already tried the usual terminal trick with no results. I may spend a few hours with the plist for the Dock this eve and see if I can make it happen.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Surely it's not impossible with a terminal tweak?
"Terminal tweaks" -- by which I assume you mean "defaults write" commands -- are not magic. They have to have been written and implemented by Apple.

Preference keys can be documented or undocumented, but if they don't create a parameter that can be defined in a preference file, then it isn't there. The undocumented ones are discovered, not made up.

It's possible that Apple have kept the feature but suddenly decided to change the names of the keys, but unlikely. The removal of the keys either means ... they have been removed it for good, or it's been removed from earlier builds for some unknown reason.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
So the term "magic" might best be applied to what you inferred from their post? :D
Getting dangerously off-topic here. Not all information in replies has to be an inference or a direct refutation of what has previously been said. It is usual for trolls to assume otherwise "but that's not what I said", etc.

My flippant use of the word magic at which you cavil was suggested by the frequent supposition, not necessarily made here, that any change your heart may desire can be enabled, if only the appropriate Terminal "incantation" can be found. It seemed worth pointing out that there are only the options that Apple give us. It may seem obvious, but many obvious things needs stating.

If Apple have removed the option for a different Dock, then no amount of hoping for a Terminal command will restore the option. The choices are then hacking the system resources yourself; using some flaky third-party cosmetics kit; or putting up with it.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Getting dangerously off-topic here. Not all information in replies has to be an inference or a direct refutation of what has previously been said. It is usual for trolls to assume otherwise "but that's not what I said", etc.

My flippant use of the word magic at which you cavil was suggested by the frequent supposition, not necessarily made here, that any change your heart may desire can be enabled, if only the appropriate Terminal "incantation" can be found. It seemed worth pointing out that there are only the options that Apple give us. It may seem obvious, but many obvious things needs stating.

If Apple have removed the option for a different Dock, then no amount of hoping for a Terminal command will restore the option. The choices are then hacking the system resources yourself; using some flaky third-party cosmetics kit; or putting up with it.

Stop trying to be smart and go away.

You've got nothing positive to say other than what anyone else could say and any idiot already knows.

My question is more than valid, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering IF there is a way and NOT presuming there DEFINITELY is one. :rolleyes:

stravis161

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
I agree. Any constructive insight, folks? I too am interested in moving the 2D dock to the bottom.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I as well. I remember hearing someone on a podcast (Siracusa I think) say there was a way to hook into Apple apps (in this case the Dock) and watch what they try to read from plist files, or see what strings they look for. I got the impression this is how most undocumented preferences are discovered. Unfortunately I don't recall how they said they did this... :(

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I can't find any mention of the former "no-glass" key in the Dock.app binary file at all (after decrypting it, of course). It appears as though this functionality has been outright removed, or otherwise commented out in the source code- either way this functionality simply isn't there anymore and there is no way to hack it back in.

Kinda sucks, I've been running the 2D dock on the bottom ever since I was able to.

-SC

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I can't find any mention of the former "no-glass" key in the Dock.app binary file at all (after decrypting it, of course). It appears as though this functionality has been outright removed, or otherwise commented out in the source code- either way this functionality simply isn't there anymore and there is no way to hack it back in.

Kinda sucks, I've been running the 2D dock on the bottom ever since I was able to.

-SC

Wow, that's quite a shocker. I like the 2D dock but don't like it on the sides really.

Shame!

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
If there is no option 2D dock on bottom, I will not upgrade to Mavericks. Like poster above, i have been running the 2D dock as long as that option has been available. Many people like it much better than the standard dock. Also, 2D dock is less skeuomorphic (that old, shunned design style) and more like the iOS 7 dock.

(OK, will eventually upgrade if no option, but come-on-man, put that option back in the OS please)

anekro

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
If there is no option 2D dock on bottom, I will not upgrade to Mavericks. Like poster above, i have been running the 2D dock as long as that option has been available. Many people like it much better than the standard dock. Also, 2D dock is less skeuomorphic (that old, shunned design style) and more like the iOS 7 dock.

(OK, will eventually upgrade if no option, but come-on-man, put that option back in the OS please)

That's what i was thinking; but i'd finally updated to Mavericks DP4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.