Anyone financed a new MBP with Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stanman64, Dec 2, 2016.

1. stanman64 macrumors 6502a

stanman64

Considering getting the new MBP from best buy and using their 6 or 18 month finance options. These are interest-free if paid within those periods. Anyone had any experience doing this before, good or bad?

2. Howard2k macrumors 65816

Howard2k

Nope, I'd pay cash/debit. But if it's interest free and there are no fees then its a no brainer as long as you're confident you can make the payments.

3. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

It's been awhile since I've done this, but if you play by the rules, it's a really good deal. Not so much now since interest rates are so low and cash is cheap if you know where to look. But, the one big watchout is they will hit you with all the interest accrued if you don't pay it off completely at the end of the interest free period, so if you miss, it will be a huge interest charge (very high rates). This is what the credit card company is hoping for. Beg, borrow, steal to get it paid off before then, even consider transferring to a lower rate card if you can't pay it off for some reason.

Another downside in this era is that the credit card company and Best Buy have your personal info. Not a big deal per se, it's just yet another place that can be hacked and a little more exposure. I specifically avoid these short term deals for this reason, limit my exposure. Other than that, it's a great deal to get free money for 18 months. Pay it off a month or two early so that you don't get killed by the accrued interest. I wouldn't bother with a 6 month offer unless you just want to pay it off in a couple months as opposed to two. 6 months interest even at those outrageous rates is still not that big of a deal. Answer to your question is "good IF..."