iPad Anyone find a back shell with mic cutout that will work with Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shenan1982, Nov 25, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I've had the iPad Mini for 1 year now since it came out. I had the SwitchEasy Coverbuddy which is a rear shell (blue in color) that fits PERFECT and is ultra thin, but also has the side cutout for the Apple OEM Smart Cover. I love it.

The problem is I just upgraded to an iPad Mini Retina. I want the same setup, but unfortunately, the SwitchEasy Coverbuddy "fits" but not perfect. It's really tight, and doesn't quite cover the lip like it did on the iPad Mini 1, due to the retina display's slightly thicker dimension.

I emailed SwitchEasy, the maker of Coverbuddy, and asked if they were going to update it. They replied that it "fits" even though there is no mic cut out, and they haven't decided if they'll make a new one with a mic cutout at this time.

Clearly their definition of "fits" is different than mine. I'm wondering if anyone else has any that they've found for retina with the mic cutout that fit well. I loved that the SwitchEasy was the EXACT same shade of blue as the Apple Smart Cover, made it look like they were designed together, and made for a completely high quality, ultra thin look.

Anyone find any solution on this?

2. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The fit isn't great, the shell was an exact fit, and it's a hard shell, so the extra tiny bit of thickness doesn't make for the perfect fit.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I tried doing this with my Rocketfish rear cover. Ended up screwing it up and throwing the case in the garbage. Lol

5. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

7. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Yes it does. A nice small rectangular one. Just make sure you are ordering a Retina Mini Case as they have both.

8. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Hopefully they get the blue ones soon.

9. jqc macrumors regular

I bought this, and yes it has a rear mic cut out. I used a cover buddy on my mini 1 and it does NOT fit the mini 2. For $6 I am very happy with the poetic case. It's not perfect, I.e. There is a big gap between the case and the Smart Cover and the top and bottom is not covered like the Cover Buddy. I'm hooping switcheasy makes one because I like the full protection on all sides (except for Smart Cover side of course), including the port covers.

The poetic case is cheap enough I don't mind buying for temporary protection while I waits for the new cover buddy. For $10 I also bought their slim line case (which is comparable to the smart case) for my wife. Again, happy with fit, doesn't have the coverage around the edges I'd like and you can't really use the cover as a stand (don't care because we use a separate stand) but for $60 less than the smart case, again I can't complain!

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I emailed Switcheasy and they said will be releasing updated CoverBuddys in the next few weeks (for Retina Mini and iPad air)

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Cool. Thanks for confirming. This is exactly what I want for my rMini, to go along with my Smart Cover. I see Amazon has it from another seller (Smart Shop Online) for about $6 shipped. Maybe I'll go with that. Directly from Amazon it's an extra $8.00 for shipping.

12. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Funny how we both got different answers. I'm going to trust the rep I spoke with because when I saw your post, I called them, and they very firmly said no, they've got no immediate plans to update since the existing cover buddy fits. I pointed out that there's no cutout for the mic, and the fit isn't perfect, and she said their testing showed that it fit fine. She said all production orders are done with their supplier for the year, and to check back in the "spring time" to see if anything has changed.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Cool. Thanks. I ordered one from Amazon.

14. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Does this have the anchor locks or can you pull your cover off without taking off the case?

Thanks

15. musicjunky macrumors regular

The Poetic case does not anchor down the Smart Cover; you can just remove it.

16. Koziakauzu macrumors member

Tunewear Eggshell, found it at my local Apple reseller, has the cut out for the mic and made to be used with the Smart cover.

17. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No like.