Anyone find the "click" disappears in their trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkyUK, Nov 11, 2014.

1. MarkyUK macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Late 2013), and every so often my trackpad loses the "click" you get when you press down on the trackpad.

It often reads it as a single click, but the trackpad won't press down at all. I normally press down all around the trackpad and it usually loosens up, but it's pretty annoying nevertheless.

Just wondered if anyone had had this issue before, and if they had brought it into the store to see if they can do anything. The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time :(

Thanks,
    Marky

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a 2012 cMBP and have never experienced it. If you can, take it into the Apple Store and see if they can repair or replace it under warranty.

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It sounds like your trackpad is defective as you machine is pretty new. I have a 2012 and it still works fine.

I try never to press down on my trackpad. I use the gestures, taps, and multi-finger maneuvers or whatever you call them because I don't want to wear out my trackpad.

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I had the same issue and after pressing down pretty hard at the very top centre of the trackpad it somehow "re-seated" itself or something and the problem went away.

5. MarkyUK thread starter macrumors member

As well as this, when I lift my laptop up from the table and put it on my lap it performs a single click. So, for example, if I'm watching a youtube video and move my laptop, it pauses the video. :/

I try to also only tap it most of the time, but it's annoying when I go to click it and it doesn't respond like it should...

If I go to an Apple store, is it likely they'll have to take it away to repair it? Because I live about a 2 hour drive from the nearest Apple store, it'd be a bit of a nuisance.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should call your local Apple Store and describe the issues and see what they say about repair. Maybe they can do it while you wait, or maybe they will have to keep it. Either way, with a 2-hour drive, I'd call ahead and see what the plan would be.

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I'm pretty sure they will have to replace the entire top case because the batteries are glued onto the case underneath the trackpad. This would be like a battery replacement. I'm not sure how long this takes, maybe an hour or two, but you'd need to talk to Apple about that.

8. savagewatts macrumors regular

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have the exact MBP as yours (15 inch Late 2013) and i have noticed this too. Seems to happen when the trackpad isnt used in a while (like when using a mouse).