Anyone find the GPS performance (all apps not reception) poor on the 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Jan 22, 2009.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I find that the gps on the 3G lags horribly. I have compared the 3G to several devices (blackberry, garmin, WM5-6 phones) and find the gps to be very slow at updating in any and all gps apps. I notice when I accelerate from 0 to 30 it takes the iphone 5-10 seconds to even start updating where other devices start after a second.

My theory is that Apple only updates the gps every 5 seconds where all other devices update once a second. The applications compensate by making it look like it is updating once a second when its not hence the lag.

Any thoughts?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That's a pretty bad theory.

A more accurate one would be: "The iPhone 3G has interference issues with the GPS chip, and this when the iPhone is not directly visible to the sky, it's going to take time to update."

The phone works fine when im in my car. Maybe it's because i have a glass roof. But yes, it will lag, because it doesn't have an external antenna.

3. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

incorrect

This is not a reception issue. I get great gps reception and I am outside. This is compared to other phones and gps devices.

4. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

i have no problems with the GPS on my iPhone. I don't expect much of it so that's probably why I'm so laid back about it.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

For iPhone developers - can you change the polling time, as you can with the accelerometers?

Haven't had much problems with GPS (primarily in Maps app), only stutters a bit sometimes, but does a cracking job otherwise. Always useful to geotag your nearby wifi routers through the website so the iPhone can use those for working out where it is on startup.