Anyone finding the Retina 15.4 just too big?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OSMac, Jun 17, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

My only hesitation on the 15.4 Retina is the large size of the laptop.

If you were able to get one, how are you finding the size in actual use...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Quite the opposite for me. I have a 13" MBP and found the screen size too small for my needs. I use photoshop and Lightroom and the lack of screen real estate is an issue for me.

The 15" MBP is a good size and I'm looking forward to the larger laptop

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not thinking in terms of specific apps rather the ergonomics of the large device.

The base on the 15.4 looks very big to use say on your lap even if the weight is the same as the 13.3 model ?

4. leenak macrumors 68020

I prefer smaller laptops myself but I'm going with a 15" due to the specs

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I use a 17" on my lap all the time... I wouldn't be too worried about how big it is. I think it'll work on your lap just fine haha

6. iFanboy Guest

"Too big" for what exactly? It depends heavily on how you plan on using it.

A 13 inch is more portable, but I find the screen to small for my endless hours browsing and typing documents in Office.

The 15.4 retina is heavier, but it doesn't cause ME any problems in portability and I have no problem lugging it around.

Some people claim the same with the 17", and for ME there is no way I could lug one of those around.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've owned both a 13" and a 15" and yes, the 15" is bigger in your lap. However I don't think its too big, in fact its easier to read the text (with my eyes) with a 15" MBP then a 13"

8. dank414 macrumors member

The 15" RMBP is lighter than the 13".. (.04pounds, but lighter)

9. AspiringSurgeon macrumors newbie

The 13" is too small for me. 15" might even be cutting it close as well but I prefer it over 13.

10. iFanboy Guest

^WHS

Sorry, was thinking of the air. Completely forgot about the 13" pro!

You're absolutely right, which makes it less of an issue to get the 15.4"

11. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

12. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Ive had all kinds of laptops for years and ive never once used one on my lap.

13. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I wish 14" would catch on in the US. A high-res 14" would be perfect for me.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's smaller than the older 15", but if you don't like the 15 wait for the 13". I understand where you are coming from as 15 and 13 owner. After you use the 13 the 15 seems huge, but its not really, unless you are trying to use it in the coach section of an airplane.

15. David N macrumors member

I'm in the other camp... I've had various 17" MBP's over the past couple of years and am a little scared about the downgrade in size! I always like having a lot of resolution at my disposal (I'm on Photoshop about 6 hours a day, 3-4 of those are outside the office), so needless to say I can't wait for the photoshop update...

Point is, I survived with a 17" that weighs 2lbs+ more than the 15" and didn't find it that bad. Get a nice bag to carry it in and you should be fine!