Anyone finds this fishy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrocksFires, Nov 7, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Fishy. No box and no Restore DVDs. Power adapter and Snow Leopard DVD can be bought in almost any store, thus that MBP might be stolen.

www.mac2sell.net can give you a ballpark price for that model.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What sounds too good, usually isn't. 706$ is way too small amount.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It might sell for that amount if it has something seriously wrong, like a fried logic board or no logic board or no HD.

Most likely it is stolen; perhaps they could provide proof of ownership in the form of a sales receipt, but most likely not.

If it is stolen and you buy it and the police manage to find out you lose the money and the computer and can be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

even if its unknowingly? i don't think so. i swear US laws protect you if it is done unknowingly, but then again as a consumer it is your duty to check the product before buying (hence the security labels and all.) interesting, :apple:

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's still not yours. It will be returned to the original owner, for free. You can then sue the seller because of fraud to try to get your money back. It's not very easy to show that you did it unknowingly and it doesn't matter that much. The item will still be returned to the original owner

It's not something that you want to experience

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they may protect you from being prosecuted, but you will have to return the stolen computer and you will lose whatever money you paid for it.
    And to the OP, if you have to ask if people find something fishy, it probably is.

7. FrocksFires thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup! Seemed stolen or something to me... I asked the owner why the price and he didn't answer... Oh well.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't count on "didn't know" to protect you; it all depends on how aggressive the local police/district attorney are feeling. You could still find yourself having to defend yourself in court, and the cost of an attorney would be many times the cost of whatever you were trying to buy.