anyone folding in Vista?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by twoodcc, Nov 4, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have tried folding on a vista machine, and it seems to be working correctly, but i can't seem to be able to tell if it's uploading correctly. is there any way to tell which workstation did which WU?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

What project are you referring to? I assume you mean Folding@Home, (if so, I don't know, but someone else might,) but the term "folding" could mean any number of distinuted computing apps.

I run World Community Grid on multiple Vista machines, and it tells me the numbervof units done per individual machine.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I've heard of folding @ Home, just never tried starting. But that is the first thing that I thought of as well.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

sorry, yes i mean folding@home. i know there are other "folding" distributed computer projects, i just forgot to put "@home" on the end.

anyways, after so many problems, i just went back to seti@home

5. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I fold on vista 24/7 with 3 boxes and GPU client on one of the boxes.

You can tell if it uploaded the work correctly if you click 'status' 'log file' and scroll through to see if it said uploaded "thank you for your contribution" or something like that

Zack

PS Thanks to all that fold... hopefully something can come of it

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. yes, it did say that in the log, but i was trying to see how many points i was getting from my mbp running Vista. since i have other machines folding also, i didn't know which points came from which machine

7. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

You can run a program called FAHMon that monitors the F@H data folder on your computer and gives you a PPD calculation. I do it for all the computers on my lan so I can see what each is cranking out.

Zack

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i think i have heard of it. i might give it a try

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Hey hey hey!!! What model Macbook Pro do you have, and how well does it seem to stand up to Folding? I'd be doing it on a new MBP probably in Vista, and I'm a bit worried about how well it would hold up, as a mid 2007 MBP got really loud when the CPUs were pushed to 100% (or in games too for that matter).

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

it is a late 2006 model (core2duo). but folding in vista did not push the CPU to 100% (but in leopard it does)

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Oh, probably you were running a single threaded client on Windows? Windows shows CPU usage as...well like if you have three CPUs, each one would show 33% if it were running at 100%, for a total of 100% for the whole system, which is kind of weird.

But it seems okay doing that? Dang...I don't know for sure which system I'm going to order :confused:

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i had the regular windows client. there's a more advanced client for windows, but i could never get it to work properly on my mac pro, and i didn't even try on my macbook

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I used to run the multi threaded client, but the new version doesn't work right for me either. I just switched back to running multiple copies of the single threaded one (ie two separate instances of the program on my dual Pentium 4).

Anyway, it's really good your Macbook Pro is holding up to Folding! I'm leaning towards getting a MBP again.