Anyone found a way to remotely wake a sleeping Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PicnicTutorials, Jan 11, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Forgive my tones of threads. Just trying to get my mac up and running. I've googled this for hours and tried many solutions. But have yet to find a way that works. All solutions are a bit techy too.

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

3. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Ya I have that clicked. But I think that is only the first step. For instance once my imac sleeps my Remote Desktop on my ipad no longer works because it says it's unavailable. I bought a app called wakeup that is supposed to wakeonlan but there are about 6 settings with all the mac addresses and ip addresses and I fear I have not filled them all in correctly because I can't get it to work. I downloaded ring so I can see my MAC address. I guess I was hoping someone had all the steps involved.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Is there a particular reason you want it to sleep? With the screen shut off it doesn't use that much power. Just leave it running.

5. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

No I guess not. How do I set it so the screen shuts off but it doesn't sleep? I always thought that's all sleep was. Apparently not.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sys Prefs > Energy Saver > Set "Computer sleep" to "Never".

7. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Will the screen turn off eventually setting that? Thanks!

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

On the same screen there's a setting on how much time to wait before turning off the screen. I usually set it for one hour.

9. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

apparently the new haswell macs don't have a separate sleep setting. Only a display setting. See image below of what i see. clicking the setting "prevent mac from sleeping when display off" seems to do the trick. My screen was off all night and i was still able to wake it this morning with logmein remote desktop app. On my home network at least. I'll test today if the same works on 3g.

Attached Files:

10. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

So sleeping is not the screen going off. But I thought they were one in the same. Prob partly because of the missing setting noted above.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks has all had trouble with WOL activity. See Apples support forums, there are hundreds of threads on the subject.

I seriously don't get why they don't fix it.

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Sleep is a very low power mode where it just keeps the ram powered up but the processor is inactive. On my MBP it uses about 10% of the battery per day. The Hazwell processors have improved power reduction modes so they offer different options.

13. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

To address your original question: my understanding is that you must have either an AirPort Base Station, Time Capsule, or Apple TV on your network for the wake on demand feature to work:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Perhaps you don't have one of those Apple devices to run the sleep proxy? Wake on demand works great for me (for screen sharing, file sharing, iTunes sharing, SSH), so I let my iMac sleep. However, I've got an older iMac (Mountain Lion) and Time Capsule and maybe something's different with the newer hardware.

14. buddyspencer macrumors regular

And what now if you have a Haswell System?

I want:
    - display sleep after time x
    - Computer sleep after time y (and/or never)

Impossible with an actual Mac system :(

15. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

you just have to send a WOL packet to the computer. You can do this with a WebDAV set up I believe. There are apps that do this too. There are also about 3 to 5 specific settings with each. I have not ben able to find a combination that works. However I am fine with my setup. I just let the display shut off after 10 minutes. and check the box in energy settings that says don't let computer sleep when display shuts off. This will work untill I some day stumble across a way to WakeOnLan that works with my stupid brain.

16. buddyspencer macrumors regular

So your mac "Never" goes to sleep...?

17. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

18. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Hm - that's not that, what I want...