Anyone from Calgary/CA? I have a question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emsilva, Aug 6, 2010.

1. emsilva macrumors newbie

hi there,

I have a friend that is going to Calgary, Canada on the 20th of August. He will be there for only 5 days. What are the odds of him being able to walk in an Apple Store and buying one of those unlocked iPhone 4's?

I have some hope that the unlocked iPhones are not being sold as fast as the ones with a plan, so he will be able to get me one.

Thanks!

2. wmp.dll macrumors member

Fairly decent. As long as he goes to the Market Mall Apple store early. The line ups for no-contract were around one hour to an hour and a half.

3. emsilva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer sir! Why is there a line for no-contract? Is it just because of the amount of people wanting to buy it, or bureaucracy?

Anyway, thanks again.

4. sblocker macrumors newbie

its because of the amount of people trying to buy a iphone 4 unlocked

5. wmp.dll macrumors member

All the Canadian Carrier's systems are still being brought to their knee's by the amount of activations for iPhone 4.

If you're buying an unlocked one, there is no need to activate in store so its quicker.

6. emsilva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the answers. Hopefully everything will work out.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Every phone is "neutral" so to say... (not activated to any network)

the Apple rep explained to me that they take the IMEI and puts it on some list that keeps the phone from locked itself to one network.

if the IMEI is not put on this list, the first activation will lock the phone to that carrier.

so basically, if they have 2000 phones, there's 2000 phones that can be sold to anyone. not 1000 unlocked and 1000 locked.

hope i didn't confuse you lol

8. Saberon macrumors 6502a

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

10. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

He was just pointing out that there have been some problems with people buying unlocked iPhones, and Apple accidentally locking them. Useful information for someone who might be coming to Canada to buy an unlocked device. They need to be aware of this.