Anyone from Canada here... that can help answer this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I live in Saskatchewan and I will be buying a car from Alberta, I was wondering is it possible to get a temporary plate so i can drive it home? And if so would I get from an Alberta motor association? How much would it cost?

Thanks

2. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Very nice to see a fellow Canadian here. Sorry, but at 17 with no license... in Ontario I cannot be too much help. However. I would suggest talking with the dealer; I have no doubt they are at least passingly familiar to this situation. As a last resort, I'd recommend paying a delivery fee for a car carriage truck. They traverse between dealerships quite often, so I think for a shipping and handling fee they will load the car and transfer it for you.

3. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Phone an insurance agent, they will know.
    You could tow/trailer it back. If you want to drive it back, it will need to be registered and insured. They will need the car info (year, make, model, vin#) as well as the bill of sale in order to register it.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Call your provincial license people. For sure you are not the first to do this. There is almost certainly a page in their manual on how to bring an Alberta car back. Or check out their website. I started to look it up on-line, but then I thought... "hey, I'm not getting the car, why am I doing the work?".

Good Luck. Also, be aware that if SK has a sales tax then you will probably end up paying it when you register the car. At least that is the case in BC. Buying an Alberta car does not mean its sales tax free.

Good Luck - watch out for the freezing rain.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Here in Saskatchewan you buy just license plates, which includes your insurance. For this car it would be 1000 for the year. So what your saying is I will have to plate it and pay for Alberta insurance to bring it down here? That would be expensive!

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I know this is kinda rude, but does anybody have unlimited Carfax views?

I know this is kinda rude, but does anybody have unlimited Carfax views? That would check out a vin number for me?

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Call your insurance company.

I do know that in BC, if you buy a new car, you have 10 days to change the insurance. That is, if I trade in my car, I can put my current plates on the new one, and drive it (and be covered), but I within ten days I need to go a insurance agent and make the changes with them.

So, you might be able to do the same if you already have a car insured: simply take the plates with you, and drive home. Or, you might be able to drive home on the Alberta plates. The long and short of it is, call your insurance company! :p

8. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Yeah I think Demosthenes X is correct, I forgot about that. You should be able to take the plates off of your current car and put them on the new one to drive it home from Alberta. I'm not sure about how many days you are allowed to do this though.
    I traded in my last car, so I just put my plates on the new one and drove to the insurance place to get all the paperwork changed to the new car.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

$3.50 is not an unreasonable price to pay to check out something you're going to pay tens of thousands of dollars for.

10. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

This is true....but.
    I purchased carfax for a month I think it was. I found a car I was interested in, ran a carfax and it came up clean. I went to look at the car, and noticed parts of the car had different looks to the paint. I questioned the guy about it being repainted or in an accident. I finally got it out of him that the car was a total write-off. I will never use carfax or trust them again!
    Just a warning to all those trusting carfax.

And to think I paid for this service.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah... CarFax does not catch everything. You're lucky you noticed the damage - lots of people probably wouldn't. My first car had a clean CarFax. I later found out it was a rebuild imported from Alberta. :/

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

About 5 years ago, my car was in an accident. Nothing major, just a minor fender bender but nonetheless, it needed repairs. A couple years after that, a friend of mine had unlimited Carfaxes since he was car shopping, so for the hell of it, I had him run my VIN. Nothing related to that accident showed up in the report.