Anyone from Vilnius LT?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oblomow, Apr 11, 2008.

1. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

We'll be making a short trip to Vilnius in July. Are there any 'must-sees' there.
    I bought the Rough Guide and I know 6 july is a national holiday. But does anyone have any inside tips? Like nice (national) parks we should visit, architecture we shouldn't miss, or even restaurant suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

No, but with a name like Vilnius, I wish I was.

Iscariot of Vilnius has a nice ring to it.

3. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

It does sound nice, but you do realise that it's in Lithuania?

4. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

Is it worth our time to travel to Trakai or Dzukija National Park? Or should
    spend our few days just seeing the old town?
    Will there be any special events on 6 July ( coronation day)

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I've been to Vilnius, but nearly 20 years ago, so the memory is fuzzy and most anything I know is out of date. I was only there a few days, and stayed in the city. I'd love to have seen Trakai, but there is plenty in the city to keep you occupied.

It's probably one of the most obvious places to go, but the thing that most stands out in my mind is Gediminas Castle, which is right there in town.

6. tadasm macrumors newbie

You'll do Gediminas Castle within 1 hour or so.
    6 july is a holiday, a festival will take place in Kernave (as always), link http://www.kernave.org
    so you can go there instead of the other places (like Dzukija, etc). Trakai would take 1/2 of a day. Though one can spend whole day, just check the transport to Vilnius (from Trakai) in advance.
    Rough Guide is not the best giude for Eastern Europe, check www.inyourpocket.com , it's british guide, the best known so far. Download PDFs, but there also are full versions ("Vilnius In Your Pocket") everywhere in the kiosks, bookstores, cost ~3 USD, up to date every other month.

7. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

That's an impressive booklet that you can download from 'inyourpocket'. Thanks! Can you tell me more about the festival in Kernave? Is this the 'festival of experimental archeology'? Is there some interesting landscape to be explored near Vilnius? (with or without a car)
    Thanks.

8. tadasm macrumors newbie

Yes, it is 'festival of experimental archeology'. Click the British flag on Kernave website -> Information for visitors -> Events -> then click one of the titles. There are pictures + text. Also click the „Map“ to get an impression about location. Connection Vilnius-Kernavė - by bus (there is an „Informacija“ at the bus station's hall, by the right hand when you face the ticket office), and of course by car.
    Text + pictures on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernavė
    not sure what do you mean by „interesting landscape“ ;), LT certainly is neither Switzerland nor Norway ;) .
    As for LT residents, Kernave surroundings (closer to the river and the town itself) are interesting, no doubt.
    Yet there are quite interesting landscapes within the city limits, here is a map of nearly whole city:
    http://laikas.org/Vilnius.jpg
    , and you can see some green „peninsulas“ - that's it. Worth a visit, if the weather is good, check the map (from top-right to the bottom): Verkių miškas (Verkiai forest), Verkių parkas (Verkiai park – nice overview from the hill at the edge of river valley), Valakupiai – beaches by the river (local secret, only „experienced“ foreigners aware), Antakalnis – you can't see on this map, but if you buy the whole one you'll see Sapiegine (Sapiega's Estate), east of Antakalnis, it also will be marked on the map as „Pavilniai Regional Park“. It's not a park, but forest with genuinely impresive landscape. Next down – Belmontas, one can walk from Antakalnis thru Sapiegine to Belmontas, would take an hour or so. Doable by taxi or car, but no public transport connection. Belmontas is a „must“ in summer. www.belmontas.lt , only in lithuanian (click „lietuviskai“), but pictures will tell you almost everything, though not about the landscape.
    Seems pretty long post ;)).

9. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

Yes, but stored and archived. Thanks a lot. We will enjoy ourselves.
    Are you from Vilnius btw?

10. tadasm macrumors newbie

Glad to help. Yes, I'm from Vln.
    Have noticed some incorrection: I wrote "impressive landscape", but meant "interesting landscape" ;) . Hilly. Also there (in Sapieginė) are unfinished Polish fortifications built before WWII expecting Soviet attack, may be interesting. The tunnels are closed/locked and turned into bats reserve, the bunkers are OK (completely safe inside, much safer than outside), but one have to have a flashlight, because there is pretty dark inside ;) . Also one have to make some effort to find them.
    Here you can see the map of that Regional park: http://www.pavilniai-verkiai.lt/pagr.php?id=parepa
    , the trails are marked, as one can see, but don't expect that everything is that clear in reality - it's more wild/natural area than it looks on the map.
    Belmontas place, I meantioned previously, is marked as the red "thingy" and 2 yellow triangles below. And here is a photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Belmontas.jpg
    , And here one can read a bit in English: http://www.pavilniai-verkiai.lt/pagr.php?id=eng_main
    . Enjoy ;) .

11. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

Great. While you're at it, any restaurant suggestions? We'll be a group of 11 for dinner. (during the day, it'll just be my wife and I)

12. tadasm macrumors newbie

Wow. 11. Not bad ;) .
    Restaurant "Lokys" (means "Bear"), it's near Town Hall in the courtyard of a narrow street (in the Old Town). www.lokys.lt . Should be a sign with bear. Make sure there is enough seats in the cellar.
    Otherwise - the same Belmontas, as you can see on the photo it is perfect for a large group, unless it is full. There are more buildings, i.e. more than you can see in the picture. If the weather is good you can sit outside.
    Another "typical" place for the dinner - "Amatininkų užeiga" (means "Craftsmen Inn" or something), quite near "Lokys".
    Generally I'd trust the reviews in "inyourpocket", locals eat at home, and, to be honest, i'm quite satiated with "restaurant food" and restaurants itself ;) . I even didn't see the Old Town nearly several months: always pass it by ;).