Anyone Get 8600GT Replaced Recently?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

My friend has an early 2008 MacBook Pro with the plagued NVIDIA 8600GT video card. Last week, the card finally bit the dust and video is completely distorted so he went out and bought another computer. He gave it to me and said to just see if there is anything left to do about it. Has anyone had a goodwill service on this done recently, or is this computer just dead at this point? I know the service period ended a while ago, and it has enough physical damage to it (dents and the screen bezel is cracked badly on both sides) that I'd think the Apple store will just refuse any service to it. Thanks for any input guys!

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's an issue with those builds of laptop. I had one and managed to get the mainboard changed out via Applecare.

My advice would be it's a hardware fault caused by the manufacturing process, you might be able to get a free replacement under apple but if out of warranty it will cost you.

4. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I might give the reflow method a try just to have it usable a bit. I might try bringing it to the Apple store (there's three around me) but I figured my chances are slim since AppleCare ran out in 2011 and the repair campaign ended last year. And the screen bezel is cracked on the lower sides so bad that you were almost bending the LCD since the lid wasn't rigid enough to move the hinge. I'm thinking maybe using just some super glue or another metal adhesive (JB Weld?) to hold it together. I took apart the display assembly to see how to remove the bezel but that job seems over my head, and a display assembly is $50+ for a computer that might not even work.