Anyone get a USED new aluminum Macbook from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hierobryan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

My "brand new" Macbook has fingerprints on the hard drive, smudges on the screen, and 3 cycles already on the battery. WTF? BTW, this was a replacement for a defective return.
    Anyone else receive a USED new Macbook? This kinda pisses me off. I didn't pay $1600 for a slightly used Macbook. I'm debating whether to take it back and just get my money back, then buy a real new one at a different Apple store.

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I believe someone posted recently about their new MacBook's box having been taped shut over an already broken seal. Maybe they intentionally/accidentally just gave you a prior return that had been "inspected." Try to get another replacement.

3. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's what happened. My box had a new seal, and the Macbook had brand new plastic wrap on it with an unbroken seal.

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Order one online, they ship directly from the warehouse. Best way to do it man, I never trust retail stores, because employees open boxes when they are bored or managers will open boxes to teach their employees how to use the products then close them back up, or they will open one to show a customer then seal it back up and sell it. Happens all the time.

5. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I'm taking it back, this is bull****. I'm gonna go in and ask to see a new Macbook box. Then I'll say, "I'd like to exchange the Macbook in my car for this one. Hold on while I write down the serial number." This should ensure I get a brand new one. God...the things I have to go through just for Mac OS :rolleyes:.

6. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i didn't know that. i think now im gonna get mine from the site...

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I never knew that, makes me really reconsider my next Mac purchase from a retail store, but then again they are more likely to open up a Rev A than a Rev E or so forth.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This may very well be the case for some retailers, but not so much for Apple. Sure, it could have very well have happened, but when I went to buy mine they were taking 4 out of boxes to image for display. I even offered to take one they just unboxed and they wouldn't let me. So no, it doesn't happen all of the time ... some of the time is a more appropriate statement.

You best be able to calm yourself down prior to going into the store. If you go in with this combative attitude that you clearly have over what could be seen as a honest mistake you'll look like an ass. Apple has a complete right to refuse the return or at least make it incredibly difficult on you.

I am in full agreement with you that a MacBook with 3 battery cycles on it is 100% unacceptable. I ponder why you returned the first one though. Do tell. However, walking in there all high and mighty (my perception of your attitude here) and pulling this "let me see a new one in box" and then jotting down the serial number and jetting out to get the one from your car is not the way to go.

Walk your MacBook back in there and show them what is up. The reason being is the fingerprints on the screen and hard drive could very well be yours and the three cycles could have been your doing not theirs. You're going to have to be very nice in order to actually get what you want. I think you will, but you have to chillax just a bit.

9. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Most states have laws against this. For instance, where I live, it's illegal to sell an open box item as a new item regardless if the product was ever used or not. Open the box, and you must market it as a used item.

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Well when I worked at Ritz Camera for example, we had cameras out of the boxes in the glass case. When a customer wanted to see one, we would take it would and show them it, let them play with it. Then we would put it back in the case. We would do this all the time, until someone actually wanted to buy it, we would go under the counter and get the box, ring it up, and sell it as new. See what I mean? You need to use common sense when buying a product from a retailer.

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I can't see the Apple Retail stores doing this. If their product is out of stock, its out of stock. The display models stay on the shelves, they don't leave the shelves until a new product is out in which case they are taken off the shelves and sold as refurbished units. However, I can see other retailers such as Dixons, PC World etc doing what your stating.

13. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

As I said, some states have laws against this. In those states, display items must be sold as previously opened items or at least advertised as such. There is nothing stating that the retailer cannot get full price for it, but the retailer may not market it as a new product if the box has been opened before - even if it was placed on display without having ever been used by a customer or store employee.

14. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I opened the Macbook I carefully inspected it. I am 100% sure the smudges on the screen/HDD and cycles on the battery are NOT from me.

You're right about chillaxing. I plan to go in and simply ask for a refund. Maybe I'll go to a different Apple Store and buy a new Macbook, maybe I wont.

15. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Why are you wasting your time?

If the computer has no real flaws and it's what you want, keep it.

Wipe the screen off and you'll be fine.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I'm not doubting that you didn't do it. I'm saying how easy it would be for them to accuse you of doing this. To be clear, I do not put this past any retailer including Apple. I'm just saying that it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

I do hope it gets sorted for you.

17. skrutzen macrumors regular

While I do think that sucks, if the machine is okay, then don't hassle yourself with going back. Unless, you think at some point there could be a warranty issue.

18. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The machine was okay minus a sticky spacebar. Whenever I pressed it with my right thumb, which is how I usually press it, it stuck down for half a second. It worked, it was just annoying and loud.

I mainly wanted to return it simply because I had paid full price for a NEW Macbook but I didn't receive one. If Apple wanted to sell me a used laptop then they should have given it to me for a reduced price. Also, if the laptop was used and returned, then there could have been a problem with it. Even if it was repaired, in my eyes it was flawed.

So anyway... I returned it without any hassle and was given a new perfect one.

Case closed:)

19. FirePak macrumors regular

I had this happen on a first gen MBP except mine was physically damaged, I had to fight with one manager and finally got a new one when I went back the next day and explained my story to another manager.

20. manny23lakeshow macrumors newbie

I had a few smudges on the screen of my MBP when I got it a few days ago. Everything else was perfect, except for the smudges on the screen which I wiped off. I would think it would be non-exchangeable unless there is physical damage, or the machine has a few battery cycles on it already.