Anyone get an occasional "flicker" with their 24" LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WilliamG, Mar 19, 2009.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I can't explain it, except that once in a while, perhaps once a day, I get a very slight flicker from my LED Display when connected to my MacBook Pro. It's not a colour shift like some others have reported, but rather literally a quick flicker like the screen loses power for a sec but only for literally a millisecond...

Don't suppose anyone else has noticed this? It's not even really an "issue" in terms of using the screen, but just a bit odd, and hopefully not a sign that it will crap out down the line. :(

Thanks...

2. Icelandr macrumors newbie

Now that you mention it . . .yes. It appears to be a change in brightness, but yes, a flicker and annoying enough to ask apple about it. My cinema display is attached to an alum Macbook, and it seems to me, but I may be wrong, that it happens later in the day, as in after it has been "on" for quite a few hours.

Love the screen, the flicker not so much

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I guess I'm not alone... :(

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Any update on this? Mine is flickering more often now... :(

5. janericster macrumors newbie

I thought my electricity was going haywire!

Same problem. Bought my 24" display about 3 months ago...had no problems for those 3 months until this past week. Now the display randomly goes black for a second about 3 times a day or more.

Checked all my connections and reattached the cables so not sure what's going on.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you have a problem, take it in to the Apple store. It's not like they will take away your monitor if it is normal, so why are you waiting?

7. apple-ette macrumors member

I also have the same issue. I have taken the display to my local Apple Store. Since there is no way for me to make it flicker / black out at will, I had to leave the display with them for "further testing". Hopefully it misbehave for them like it does for me. :D

I'll try to remember to post an update on what happens.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The best thing to do if you can't make something misbehave at will is to take a video of it misbehaving;)
    Even if they can't replicate it to fix the problem, they will at least know there is a problem so they can get you a replacement.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I sort-of gave up caring about it on my end. It only happens once every so often, so I'd have to leave a video camera hooked up 24/7. This screen has been working for 8 months just fine otherwise, so... I've gotten over it. :)

10. apple-ette macrumors member

That was the next thing I was going to try (taking a video of it happening), luckily the Apple Store has replaced my display. :) They did not say what they found to be wrong with it. Hopefully the new one is "perfect".

11. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Has the new display experienced the flicker? I'm experiencing the same problem and wondering how to proceed.

12. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

13. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Our issues seem to be related but not exactly the same. My display flashes only for a milisecond, not half a second.

14. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I've gotten both a millisecond "flicker" and also a half-second black-out. They might be varying degrees of the same problem.

What screen resolution setting are you using when you experience this? (I think) I only get the flicker on the 1920x1200 resolution setting. If I reduce it to something smaller it goes away. So I'm wondering if the graphics card/chip can't always keep up with that resolution.

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I always run 1920x1200.

16. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have only had my display less than a week, but I have just reduced the brightness and in the last 5 minutes it has probably flickered about 10 times. Anyone else find this?

17. apple-ette macrumors member

I have had the replacement display for almost 2 weeks, and so far so good, it has been perfect, no flickers or going black.

18. benborman macrumors member

I just started noticing a 1/2 second blackout today. My display is a refurb - I've had it barely over a week. If this persists I will be contacting Apple...

Anyone have any idea why this happens?

See my system setup in my sig...

19. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Honestly? I'd try to ignore it. Mine's done it since I got it last year, and it does it ever so occasionally to this day.

20. sab150 macrumors regular

does anyone else get a buzzing? its freaking louder than my macbook pro.. sounds like a power related issue? my last one diddnt do this.. it does however dye down wen it warms up.. opinions>

21. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

That doesn't sound normal to me...

22. sab150 macrumors regular

thanks, do you have one? and can you test next time its turned on from cold it doesnt do this?

it sounds like a constant buzzing (that i got from a cheap dimmer lamp) of electricity goes after about 10mins but super annoying

23. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Oh believe me I've used this screen a ton. I hate the buzzing from all CCFL LCDs, so no, this doesn't make a sound.

24. benborman macrumors member

That's probably good advice. I'd hate to exchange it and end up with a different ACD that has backlight bleed like some users have reported, or uneven color tint. Ugh.

I think I will ignore this unless it starts happening with greater frequency.

25. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

You're making the right move. I've seen a lot of these screens with varying issues. Color tinges (one of mine was greenish), lots of dust under the display etc.