Anyone get Audible working?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anthonymoody, Sep 30, 2018.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

S4 here running 5.0.1. Every time I try to sync an Audible book to my watch, first I get a message saying that putting the watch on a charger may make the transfer faster. Then, whether I do that or not, it prepares the book. Then tries to sync it.

I once got to 11%. Another time to 6%. Sometimes it doesn’t move off 0%. Then it says something along the lines of Paired Apple Watch Not Responding.

No clue why that is. In the morning I’ve woken up to find a little watch icon in the audible app on my phone, as if it’s been synced. But the Audible app on my watch still says No Contemt and bounces to the little instructional page.

Would appreciate hearing how others are doing.

2. RMSko macrumors 6502

I was able to sync a book without any trouble.

3. sirenized macrumors 6502

4. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I'm on book #3 with my Watch and no problems syncing. The medium size book I'm reading now (10 hrs) took maybe 15 minutes to sync. Some posters suggested turning off Bluetooth on the phone for faster sync (via WiFi) but my experience was that was slower. I do put my Watch on its charger and I do put my phone next to my Watch.

I'd try the usual voodoo: delete the Audible app on your Watch; delete and then redownload the iPhone Audible App and reinstall on your Watch; restart your Watch, etc.

5. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

It has been working for me. I have more trouble getting headphones to pair than I do with the audible app.

6. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it’s a me problem. The worst kind.

Not only did I try the voodoo. I unpaired and re-paired.

My fear now is the only course is to unpair and set up as a new watch. Ugh.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

7. dbrewood macrumors regular

dbrewood

Exactly the same issue here on my S3, nothing I've tried so far seems to fix it.

8. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Took a couple of goes but I finally got a couple of books synced over to my watch. Found I had to restart the watch after installing the Audible app on the watch before it would sync though.

9. dbrewood macrumors regular

dbrewood

In the end I've removed the Audible Watch app from the Watch. I ended up stuck at that overview screen and noticed that the battery dropped more than usual so I'm thinking the app was trying to constantly sync which as causing this. So I'm back to using the 'Now playing' controls on the watch to work with Audible on the phone. Works for me as I'll always have the phone with me**.

** - When my S4 arrives I'll give it another try just in case.

10. Bfarmer38119 macrumors member

I had some of the same issues as others. My watch and phone both had to have the apps removed and reinstalled. I also deleted the incomplete file on the watch, too. At some point in the process I got the newest apps installed on my devices. Previous download attempts of the updates did not occur.

Not sure why some of us have had troubles but all is now good for me.

11. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

How is your watch storage doing? Did you fill it up with Podcasts or Music yet?

12. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I hadn't used Audible before, but when I recently put it on my Xs Max it also automagically put it on the AW4. And it all worked just fine though the syncing is pretty darned slow. Has worked fine since then.

13. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I'm sorry it's not working. That stinks! I was wondering if maybe there was a problem with your "new" watch setup because of the Paired Apple Watch Not Responding message you quoted . . . . but then say that @dbrewood (below) also has issues with a Series 3.

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the Audible app? If so, the next update might fix that.

14. dbrewood macrumors regular

dbrewood

15. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Welp, for no reason I can discern, this morning I woke up and one of the attempts I’d made worked overnight.

Only thing I can guess is that some combination of proximity and watch on charger was necessary in my case. I’d done those things before with no luck, so not sure what changed. Frustrating that I can’t really diagnose. Maybe the transfer is sensitive enough that the watch and phone need to practically touch and be charging. In my case anyway.

Speaking of cases (ha) maybe next time I’ll take my phone out of the case to see if that makes any difference.

Question for those with >1 book synced: what is the mechanism to switch among books? Mine just goes between two screens: the player controls, and a picture of the book and title. I guess that would be a list if >1?

16. radus macrumors 6502

While I am able to listen music using the apple watch series 3, I can not listen aubible - audiobooks.

The app installs, I am able to download a book to the watch.
    But when I open the audible.app on the apple watch to listen the book it crashes instantaneously.

17. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Another key factor in the syncing working is if your phone or your watch are at the time connected to other Bluetooth accessories. I for instance could not sync anything if either my phone or watch was connected to AirPods, once I turned those off the book synced. So keep that in mind when syncing - the limitations of Bluetooth will affect how sync works.

18. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Hmm. Maybe try the old "uninstall the app, reinstall the app, reinstall the book" thing?

Interesting. I thought you could connect to >1 device via BT, for example, a HR monitor chest strap, and headphones.

19. radus macrumors 6502

That is what I did, I even reseted the Apple Watch - If the new Apple watch 4 was better, I would buy it.
    But it may be easier to wait for a bugfix on behalf of audible.

20. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

You can for sure connect headphones and a heart rate sensor but for transferring large amounts of data like an audio book that will severely limit what can be transferred and will often cause it simply to not work.

21. radus macrumors 6502

I just bought the AppleWatch 4 44mm lte over the series 3.
    And the audible.app crashes there as it crashed on the series 3 apple watch.

Side note - I love the larger display and the improved speed of the series 4