Anyone get better connection with Thunderbolt->USB vs WiFi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spetsnazos, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I just ordered a Thunderbolt to USB connector for my 15" rMBP and was wondering if its likely I'll see better stability/connection with ethernet versus the WiFi.

My router is in the other room normally and I get about 90 ping on League of Legends.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wired is better than wireless, every single time. So yes.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Uhhh, yes, you will get a better connection speed over ethernet.

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

What does the Thunderbolt -> USB adapter have to do with wireless vs Ethernet? Just curious if something is missing from the equation here.

5. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

dunno how much I lose using a thunderbolt->usb connector vs having a built in ethernet

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

USB 2.0 from most modems is a theoretical 480Mbps, whereas ethernet is a theoretical 1000Mbps.

You gain some latency by using USB rather than ethernet, but it's nothing to write home about as your internet connection can't make full use of either.

7. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

OP probably has a rMBP and has to choose between Thunderbolt to Ethernet vs Thunderbolt to USB

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

9. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

yeah I have a 15" rMBP

10. bogatyr, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

bogatyr macrumors 65816

Why would you go thunderbolt to USB? There are built in USB ports if you're using a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Thunderbolt -> Ethernet doesn't involve USB and can max out the gigabit speed (Ethernet is the bottleneck)

USB -> Ethernet cannot max out the gigabit speed, USB is the bottleneck at 480Mbps minus overhead

Wireless can hit 450Mbps but has overhead from encryption (assuming you encrypt it and assuming you have n capable devices on 5Ghz with 3x3)

No where would you need thunderbolt to USB though.

11. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Wired ethernet is valuable

There speaks another person on this site that does not move large data sets, ethernet is incomparably faster even when the machine is sitting within feet of the base station. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Wireless competes for bandwidth when more than one device is connected, whereas a wired switch does not suffer this.

2. Ethernet 1,000 Mbps is faster than any wireless

Moving a 40Gb dataset before or after analysis, the difference is between minutes and hours.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It was a typo, I meant Thunderbolt -> USB. No where would you need Thunderbolt -> USB.

I have, and use, 2 Thunderbolt -> Ethernet. My entire post was questioning the statement about going from Thunderbolt -> USB. There are plenty of USB ports and you would use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter over a Thunderbolt to USB adapter.

13. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Now that I think of it, are there even any Thunderbolt to USB adapters available? I'm not talking about a dock like the one Belkin is set to release next year, just a plain adapter.

14. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Why would you need that though? Why not just use a USB hub on the existing USB ports?

15. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011, it only has USB 2 ports. Doing backups would be faster with a USB 3 drive. I would get a Thunderbolt drive, but those are more than double the price right now.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I beg to differ. It does, but just not at any reasonable level similar to wi-fi. You're still limited to ASIC/backplane bottlenecks and uplink contention among other things.

It's just that at gigE it's not as noticeable as it is at wireless speeds and it's a lot more elegant in it's implementation.

You know you’re a nerd or really bored when you get into conversations about the oversubscription of ports on each ASIC and things like that so I'll stop ;)