Anyone get hissing iPhone replaced? Experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncanator, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I am curious if exchanging is worth it at this point. Closest Apple Store is 2 hours from me so I do not want to make the trip unless it is worth it. Anyone exchanging their phones getting a better one or are you getting a similar result? If this has to be merged to another thread that is fine. I'm specifically interested in hearing from those who have done exchanges.

2. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Yeah I had mine replaced, the replacement hisses too. The first phone did have an overheating issue which was the main reason for replacing it.

3. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That is what I am afraid of. I don't want to make the trip just to have one that does it again. Just would be a waste of gas and time.

4. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I just had them do a card hold for the price of the iPhone and send a new one in the mail took a full day for the phone to get here and the best part was getting it replaced faster that some people's pre-orders were fulfilled. It's pretty sad actually, some people are still waiting on their pre-orders and I walked out of a best buy mobile store with 2 iPhone 7 Pluses in the 3rd week after release.

5. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I'm still worried it would have the issue and even more difficult to get fixed. Did your replacement has the issue still? How long did it take for the hold to drop?

6. mildocjr macrumors 65816

The hold dropped as soon as they had the device in hand. It wasn't that bad, just have to make sure that you can cover the balance in case it gets lost.

7. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Give it a day. Some people say it goes away in a few days after setting up, others not so much.

There are several threads about that issue too.

8. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Yeah I have had it for a few days now. It is not near as bad as others. I only hear it if I put my ear up to the back of the phone and ever so slightly in videos. That is the main reason I am not in a huge rush to get it replaced yet. I have heard of some that are VERY audible.

9. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Yeah as a graduate student the cost of the phone is more than my monthly stipend lol I would be SCREWED. Not really a risk I want to take I guess.

10. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I've gone that route twice only because my job requires 100% availability from me. The other option is to send your phone back, wait a day for the new one to come back, it does not require a card hold.

11. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That's probably what I will end up doing ultimately. Going to suck being without a phone.

12. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

if the store is 2 hours (4 total) might be worth the drive if you need your phone. Maybe call apple and see if they have one for you there. At least get a case going.

How long have you had the phone

13. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I have had the phone for probably 4 days. They do have one there and said they would hold one for me if I decide to make the trip. But they also said they absolutely have to do a diagnostic test and if it comes back and says they have to send it to a depot then they could not do the exchange. It would have to be sent for repair. They said I have a better chance of that happening than actually being able to exchange.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Honestly, it appears the hissing seems to be prevalent with Plus model. Many others have had replacements, still with a hissing sound or slightly fainter sound. It may be one of the unfortunate sides to the Plus model, which is annoying understandably.

15. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That's what I am starting to think. The Customer Relations rep had spoke to a few Apple Technicians and they said the more powerful the devices get there is a chance of something like this happening when doing something that is processor heavy just like with a computer. How much truth there is to that, I have no idea. I'm not a tech genius.

16. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Which is strange since the 7/7+ share the same processor and this seems to be happening more in the plus.

17. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I agree it is weird. I wonder if it is just the 7+ requires more processing due to the bigger screen? Heck I have no idea. Hopefully Apple figures out what is going on.

18. Low country macrumors 6502

There are several strange anomalies with the 7+ that do not exist in the smaller 7. I stand firm on my ground and past posts where I said that I believe the 7+ chassis is NOT series 7000 aluminum and/or the 7+ chassis is much thinner than the smaller 7. The 7+ I briefly had creaked terribly and was very flexible. I've looked very closely at the smaller 7 and it is very stiff with zero flex or creaking noises. This may explain why people can hear the hissing on the 7+ only. Maybe the hissing is emanating more easily through the flimsier chassis or body???
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    I hope too but I'm not holding my breath. Corporate America has a long standing tradition of not coming forward like men (or women) and eating crow for screwing up. I'd be SO IMPRESSED if Apple or other corporate entities just came out and said "we F'd up"....Just look at Touch Disease!! Apple STILL won't address or admit to it. Very cowardly.

19. Gzalito macrumors member

what about if you have a hissing unit and decide to ask for an exchange under warranty on the month 9-10 ? Should they give you a new unit?

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's a normal characteristic. Each of the three I bought do it, but it's not causing a problem so far. Besides the phone comes with a warranty that covers various failures.

21. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I just got off the phone with an Apple Technician. He said ALL of the iPhones have what they call a "load" bearing issue. He said the degree of the sound can be absent to our ears or noticeable to our ears. He said as of right now the engineering department has told him it is not a hardware issue but it is a software issue. They are currently working on a fix for iOS 10.1 and they have it in beta right now.

22. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

Week 40 128GB 7 Plus model here, absolutely no hissing or any sounds coming from the device at all with my ear hunting all over the phone in a very quiet room, recording a 4K video while trying to listen for sound. I do not hear nothing at all coming from the phone while under load.

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Good to hear. My device is also very quiet and no reports of hissing.