Anyone get school e-mail powered by gmail on their iPod touch/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KTK1990, Jan 31, 2009.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Hey,

I have a 32 gig 2g touch. I am trying to get my school e-mail through the mail app, but it keeps failing. Our school (CPCC) uses Gmail. I tried adding my address and password (ScreenName@email.cpcc.edu) in the Gmail setting in the setting area. But it failed when I tried to connect and get the mail.

Is there any way to get it to let me check my school mail on my touch?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

might have to do it manualy. (eg not with the Gmail icon)
    using bob@school.com
    pop.gmail.com
    and smtp.gmail.com

3. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I tried manually but instead of pop.gmail.com I used iMap.gmail.com

Edit: I just tried and it said "POP account verification failed. The user name or password for "pop.gmail.com" is incorrect" I tried with just my screen name and pass, and then my screen name@email.cpcc.edu and pass.

4. kikayon macrumors newbie

Yeah

I've tried it 5 ways from sunday and can't get it to work even though I use gmail for all the mail domain services of the companies whose email systems I maintain. You should just be able to to set your settings to iMap, disable pop, go to your phone, add other and enter in the imap incoming and outgoing to get it to work... I don't know but it would sure be easier than forwarding everything to some other account that I can set up that way... can't think why they would disable this either...

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

I've been viewing my Gmail accounts on my iPhone since I purchased the thing two years ago.

I guess I can't add anything more to this discussion other than if your school uses Gmail like you said, why don't you have a gmail.com username??

I would contact your school's IT department to help you get it set up. :)

6. Dino451 macrumors 6502

I have a semi solution.

I have a school account that is run by Gmail (not@gmail.com). I also have a regular gmail account. I set it up to forward all incoming mail from the school account to my normal gmail and it all comes in to my gmail account on my ipod. Every few months I go in and clean up my school account. I had the same problems and tried many of the above on my school account. None of them worked, this was the easiest solution for me. When you reply to a school email, it will show your normal gmail account.

7. Klasniedryg macrumors newbie

8. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Have you tried setting it up as an exchange server....

9. Bear macrumors G3

Have you actually enabled the gmail account for pop or imap access? (Since this hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought it would be good to check that.)