Anyone get text from AT&T to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alent1234, Jan 27, 2014.

1. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have an iphone 5 which is almost 9 months to finish the contract and i just got a text that i can upgrade if i go to the NEXT program

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, but don't you have to trade in your current iPhone and switch to a mobile share plan?

I got the text to, but regardless I'd wait for the iPhone 6 at this point.

4. alent1234 thread starter macrumors 603

i'm already on mobile share and i don't think i'll have to trade the phone in. thinking of getting a Note 3 and keeping my iphone 5

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup. I got the texts on all my lines. Waste of money. No thanks.

6. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I got the text as well. I'm 9 months in on my 4s contract. Think I'll just wait and explore my options. I like the old plan I'm on 450 minutes, 200 text, 200 MB data for $68.79 a month.

7. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

That plan sucks dude!

8. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

That is pretty bad considering whats out there now and on prepaid :D

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got that text tonight. I upgraded in July to a HTC One. The NEXT plan is not a good deal, so I'm ignoring the text.

10. djfmf macrumors member

i had an employer with at&t. i told him to go with tmobile last year for their $30 100 min unlimited text and 5gb of 4g. for half a year he was stuck with edge speeds but since he mainly used it for texting he was happy paying $30 a month. i just checked up on him recently and with the increase in lte service in san diego he has much faster speeds for mobile internet.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

AT&T NEXT program requires that you turn in your present device at the time of the upgrade. :(

I always pass my present device to my son when I upgrade so Next is not for me. I save my older devices. :)

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Next plan is for inpatient people who want the newest phone every year. In general it's a terrible deal for just about everyone.

You're better off just buying whatever phone you want and then selling it when you no longer want it.

13. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I don't think it is a terrible program. If a person is "impatient" they probably don't want the hassle of selling their device online either....and they also probably don't mind spending a premium to upgrade more often. To me, it is not something I'd go for, I'm ok waiting 2 years-ish to upgrade my phone. But for some people, the additional cost is a premium for the service of getting a new phone every 6-12 months.

14. alent1234 thread starter macrumors 603

i ran the numbers and if i switch my 4 line plan to t-mobile and pay for the phones for two years its the same price as what i'm paying for AT&T
    t-mo is only very cheap if you keep the phone for more than two years

as it is now i can get a Note 3 for $0 down and an extra $15 a month since AT&T will cut my bill by $15 per line for going to NEXT

15. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I know my plan probably sucks but for the longest time AT&T was the only service I could get and its still not good. Moderate service area. I only have service at my house because of a Microcell that sometimes has a mind of its own. Just recently got 4G service but its so slow its not worth talking about.

No other national carriers work well here...rural area. Verizon bounces off of a local carriers towers which offers unlimited talk/text and 2 gig of data for $79.99 monthly.

Would drop ATT but when my brother visits he wouldn't have any service.

16. StangGT909 macrumors member

If you switch to Next on this deal,
    Do you have to give them your current phone?

Unless I'm missing something this is a fantastic deal.
    Next = + $27, - $15 mobile share value discount = $12 extra
    So I get a new phone every year, for $144 and never pay a device fee or upgrade fee.
    That's it, $144 a year for a brand new phone.

I understand every time you upgrade via Next, you trade your phone in.
    But I'm thinking you don't turn your current (prior to switching to next) phone in when you sign up.

So let's say this September an iphone 6 comes out.
    You switch to Next and get it for free, for your $27-$15 =$12 monthly fee

They don't take your 5S.

You sell it for $250-300

That basically covers the $12 you'll be paying over two full years,
    In which time you've received an iphone 6 and possible iphone 6S.

All being a "push" at the 2 year point.

??? I am missing something?

17. alent1234 thread starter macrumors 603

Got the Note 3 last night but i'll probably return it tomorrow because i miscalculated the price. i'm on a 4 line mobile share plan with 10GB. was paying $30 per line plus FAN discounted $120 for the data. i thought only my line was going to get discounted, but the others got bumped to $40 per line and down to $100 for the data before FAN.

i was planning on paying $10 to $15 more per month for the phone but its turning out to be around $30 and too much for me. i can get a refurb ipad mini or cheapo samsung tablet and was planning on another ipad as well

Nice phone and in a lot of way better than my iphone 5 even though i like IOS better, but i'll probably give it back tomorrow and eat the restocking fee

didn't have to give up my iphone 5, even have a buyer for it

18. redman042 macrumors 68020

I know that annual upgrades on this plan require you to hand over your old phone, and it needs to be in good working order. Not sure what happens when you first switch to the plan, but if your existing phone is under contract and you want to be released from that contract, you probably have to hand them the phone.

19. alent1234 thread starter macrumors 603

when you first switch you don't need to give in your current phone even if it still in contract
    and the NEXT phones only have to be turned in if you upgrade before you pay it off

overall its only a good deal on multi line plans if everyone is paying on a phone at the same time or if everyone has a paid off phone and only one person is doing NEXT at a time

20. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Lol this might be the worst option available for you #

21. StangGT909 macrumors member

If you just bought a 5S in September and you can switch to next and get a phone at any time for $0, then basically they are just waiving their own ETF so essencially their giving you $250-300 or whatever the pro-rated amount of the ETF is at that time.

If my math is correct, anyone that has a 5S worth $300 on the secondary market would not be out much if any if they upgrade to a new phone this fall and just add $12 to their bill. Seems like a no brainer. Thanks T-mobile for making this happen.

22. alent1234 thread starter macrumors 603

NEXT is not a bad deal if you have a single line plan, for family plans that have phones on contract it's a rip off

23. frito1224 macrumors regular

I got the text but at&t can't seem to be able to see that I'm using a 5s already because i cross upgraded

24. dubstar82 macrumors newbie

You don't have to hand them the phone. They release you from your contract and you can get a phone using the Next program. An iPhone 5s is 32.50 per month ( on a 12 month plan). You only get the 15.00 discount if you move to a mobile share plan. So basically your mobile share plan will be $55 ( 2GB data plan with unlimited talk and text) + $25 a line ( normally $40 bucks if you have a 2 year contract) + $32.50 ( installment plan for the iPhone 5s).