Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm just curious to hear from other 360 owners who have sent in their units due to the infamous RRoD issue. I sent mine in a week ago (it just arrived there this past Friday) and was wondering a few things:

1) How long does it normally take to repair? The lady on the phone told me 2-4 weeks (kind of a large range, but she said she couldn't be any more precise).

2) Do you get status updates, for example, knowing when it's been fixed and they've shipped it back so you can track it? My xbox is not registered on their site (where you can look up the repair status) because I did it over the phone with the customer service people (and I don't have my serial # to try and add it as a device in my xbox support profile thing).

3) How (un)likely is it that a repaired 360 will continue to have RRoD issues in the future? What I'm getting at is, do you know what they fix? Is it the GPU's heatsink? A new motherboard since it was likely warped from the intense heat? Better fans?

Anything you guys could throw my way would be great -- I'm not really in the "gaming" loop, but I know a lot of people have 360s here on the boards.

Thanks!

nyfinest32

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
i had to send mine in, they received it at there service center on thrus 1/17 and the status already says "shipped device back to customer" so that was pretty quick, it took about a week to receive the shipping box tho.

as far is checking the status, u can check online which u stated u cant do, or u can call and check that way, u will need ur reference number.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Well...this will be my 5th Xbox in a 1 year period. My 15 day year old Refurb just broke. I have only about 10 hours on it. It takes about 3-4 weeks...my last one just took about 5. I said that I must get a new one or I will take Microsoft to Small Claims.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm just curious to hear from other 360 owners who have sent in their units due to the infamous RRoD issue. I sent mine in a week ago (it just arrived there this past Friday) and was wondering a few things:

1) How long does it normally take to repair? The lady on the phone told me 2-4 weeks (kind of a large range, but she said she couldn't be any more precise).

2) Do you get status updates, for example, knowing when it's been fixed and they've shipped it back so you can track it? My xbox is not registered on their site (where you can look up the repair status) because I did it over the phone with the customer service people (and I don't have my serial # to try and add it as a device in my xbox support profile thing).

3) How (un)likely is it that a repaired 360 will continue to have RRoD issues in the future? What I'm getting at is, do you know what they fix? Is it the GPU's heatsink? A new motherboard since it was likely warped from the intense heat? Better fans?

Anything you guys could throw my way would be great -- I'm not really in the "gaming" loop, but I know a lot of people have 360s here on the boards.

Thanks!

1) Somewhere in there seems about right. I've heard it is usually 2-3 weeks.

2) I believe if you call 1-800-4MyXbox and ask for the status on a repair they will tell you whether it has been received, shipped, etc.

3) With everyone I know who has had to send in their 360, they end up with a refurbished one & it usually continues to have problems later on.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
1) Somewhere in there seems about right. I've heard it is usually 2-3 weeks.

2) I believe if you call 1-800-4MyXbox and ask for the status on a repair they will tell you whether it has been received, shipped, etc.

3) With everyone I know who has had to send in their 360, they end up with a refurbished one & it usually continues to have problems later on.

i JUST got mine back. sent it in the day before thanksiving

so like close to 2 months lol fun times

and yea they are refurbs, ive had some come back marked up since used previously (ive had 5-6 360's rod on me and then sent back)

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Sent my original one in with 3RL, got it back in 2 weeks, worked for about 8 months before it got 3RL again. Sent that one in, got it back in two weeks but when it arrived it didnt work, never got to play it. Not 3RL though, it just doesnt display any audio or video. Currently waiting on for it to return again.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Thanks everyone. That's pretty weak that they don't actually fix anything...i mean it's pretty much guaranteed to fail again at some point since the refurb will have the same exact inherent flaws. Or did they change some key components when they realized why all the failures were occurring and these new components would be in any refurb they send me?

Are they just trying to ride out the waves of problems until everyone is past the 3 years?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Thanks everyone. That's pretty weak that they don't actually fix anything...i mean it's pretty much guaranteed to fail again at some point since the refurb will have the same exact inherent flaws. Or did they change some key components when they realized why all the failures were occurring and these new components would be in any refurb they send me?

Are they just trying to ride out the waves of problems until everyone is past the 3 years?

Its funny...I said to the lady on the phone that spoke barely any english "I am basically going to get the exact same thing again and it will break within the next 3 months."

I got 15 days....nice work Microsoft!:mad::mad:

Steve519

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
I run a few gaming websites so I following the gaming world pretty well. It takes around 3-4 weeks. You can't really check the status, you can call them back but your get a generic response. And to be honest its somewhat likely to happen again, I'm on my 3rd, and I have had several buddies that are up to 7 now.

We actually just posted a good article yesterday about this, http://www.platformnation.com/2008/...th-about-xbox-360-red-ring-of-death-failures/, it going into the red ring issue with pretty good detail.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Mine red ringed. From calling MS to getting my box back took a week.

I'm only two days from the repair center, so that helps a ton.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I've had my current 360 for a month with no problems yet. Hopefully, I won't have any for a while.

I had a 360 back in February '06 or so that got disc read errors. Sent it back. I believe total time for sending it back/receiving a new unit was about a week. Problem was, the second one had the same issues! :eek:

I ended up returning that one to Toys R Us and went back to PS2 land for a while.

I plan on trying to stick with the 360 this time, since I believe they are the best next-gen console. The interface/game selection just blows away anything out there, IMO. Plus, all the best racing games (what I love the most) are on the 360. (PGR series, Forza, etc.)

I figure if this 360 goes bad, I'll just send it back and get another one and if that one goes bad, I'll just send it back and get another one.

I know they haven't exactly proven to be the most reliable, but I'll deal with it to play my favorite games.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Update

So they've finally shipped my replacement back. It'll get here Feb. 1st according to FedEx. They shipped out the box on Jan. 6th. That's almost a month. I hope it doesn't red ring again.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
I am on my 4th 360 from RRoD.

The last two times they have given me a new console.

The first replacement I got was a refurbished console that was a core system. Without the chrome. Even-though I had the other system that came with chrome on the front. That one broke within a few days so it did not matter that much.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
The 360 is the popular choice among my friends. They all LOVE IT and use it nightly just about (and we are mid-upper 20's :))

But, all of them have had RROD problems and all but one has had to send it in TWICE (one guy is on his 4th)

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Of all my friends with launch-batch 360s, only 2 have "died", mine (my brother covered the vents for some reason, RRoD'd, left it for half an hour, worked perfectly ever since) and one which, having fallen down a flight of stairs, RRoDs about once a week, but switching it on and off again does the trick. No offense, but if your 360s keep on dying no matter how many times you send them off to repair, it's you that's doing something wrong, not the console.

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
I think it is terrible that Microsoft would send a refurbished unit back, i take good care of my stuff and if i sent mine off for repair i would expect the one i sent away to come back having being fixed, failing this a new unit would suffice, but NEVER a unit that has been in SOMEONE elses house, USED by SOMEONE else, possibly not taken care of, possibly banged about, possibly been in a house with kids, possibly scratched or dinged. When i bought my Xbox 360 i bought it brand new, its mine...

I dont know what will come about in the next gen of consoles but seems some of us might be hard pressed if like me you find nintendo wii console to be a joke, PS3 overpriced and xbox being the only console giving me what i want turning out to be unreliable (so ive heard, not had any problems myself but dont like hearing this, puts me off) and this kind of a joke of customer service.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
It's a good thing that the question didn't ask "Has anyone NOT had their 360 repaired for RRoD?", this thread would be about 2 posts long :eek: :p

If there is a Xbox 720 I really hope that they decide to use quality components instead of the cheapest most unreliable stuff they can find like they did with the 360. But something tells me MS might be pulling out of the console market all together and taking it to the PC games... Which would be great for the industry in a whole, MS has a tendancy to destroy any market that they try to monopolize.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The console news brand new. I'm not sure how to tell if it is refurbished or new though. Either way it's worked really well. I've noticed it is MUCH cooler to the touch after playing than the old one was. I'm happy with it so far but it took a month to get it all said and done.

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
The console news brand new. I'm not sure how to tell if it is refurbished or new though. Either way it's worked really well. I've noticed it is MUCH cooler to the touch after playing than the old one was. I'm happy with it so far but it took a month to get it all said and done.

Note to future customers with this problem, before sending it off note your Serial Number, that way you will know if it was your unit or not before it was sent away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.